Has anyone's child been diagnosed with a heart murmur?

My daughter (22months) went in for dental surgery last Wednsday. Well the anastisiologist said she had a heart murmur which her Dr never heard so they didn't do the surgery. I took her back to the Dr who couldn't hear it and now we have to see a pediatric cardiologist. Has anyone gone though this? What should I expect? Her Dr said if it comes and goes she will most likely gorw out of it. I have googled it but I wanted to hear if anyone else has gone through this before?

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 3:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes. My son has one. We move alot, so each time we move we get a new Dr. And one will hear the murmur and the next one won't. Then the next will hear the murmur, then the next one won't. As far as Prophylaxis goes,you should get your assessment from the pediatric cardiologist and have it checked yearly. Not only do some kids grow out of it, but as the chest wall becomes thicker some doctors are no longer able to hear the faint murmur when in fact it is still there. My father has a congenital valve disorder that he has passed to all of his kids,as does my mother so I have it also. My husband has a murmur from Rheumatic Fever as a child. For us, murmurs are part of daily life.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/heartmurmur/hmurmur_causes.html

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:26 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My youngest, 3, had a murmur since birth. The pediatrician sent us to a ped cardiologist. He diagnosed an innocent murmur and a hole between two chambers of his heart. Said the hole will heal up and he'd probably outgrow the mumur. We haven't had to go back after that one time when he was around 1ish. Said no need to unless a problem arose. As of his 3 year checkup in November it was still there, but nothing to worry about.

At the office, they did a complete history and and ekg. Then the doctor did an in depth ultrasound looking at everything and seeing the flow of blood, etc.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 8:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2010