Weaning 16month old... Is this Normal when weaning???

My son is 16 months and I am 10 weeks pregnant, I chose to wean. He still nursed a lot at night- I started offering a bottle of milk instead of breast. ... worked well, except he drinks 27-30+oz of milk a night! Is this normal? I have to make 3-4 9oz bottles of milk a night.. and change his diaper 2-3 times between 10pm and 7am. It is such a drastic change. I just don't know what to think. I worry about milk teeth- but he cries, hollers and asks for milk. I am just baffled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• After you brush his teeth, he should only have water at night.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• thats tooo much i think. im not sure if he should be drinking that much milk in the entire day forget at night. try giving him bottles where the flow is very slow.. and have you tried a pacifier?? what abt other stuff like soothing music to keep him asleep.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• That is too much for a child that age. Is there someone that can take care of him at night while he is breaking the habit? My second had to have dental surgery at 2yo (though she did not use bottles or drink juice); you do NOT want to put him in that position when you can help it.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Too much. He needs to eat more solids. He doesn't need a bottle at night. Just don't offer any when he wakes. He will stop asking.
    Anonymous

• Why did you even start with the bottle? 27oz of milk in a 24 hour period is normal. If you want to wean then cut the breastfeeding down by one every couple of weeks. Don't give a bottle in place of the breast. Because then you have to wean him off the bottle.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 7:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• No, this is not normal, and it is not good for him to have that much milk. He should have no more than 16-24 ounces MAX in 24 hours. I did this same thing with my son at about this age when I was pregnant but we gave him bottles with only water in them. Try switching to that.
    The other option is to give him nothing during the night.
    Either way, wean at night first, still letting him nurse during the day, then when he has been weaned at night for a week or so start dropping daytime nursing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• that is too much milk my son barely drinks that throughout the day. and like the other poster said tell him he cant have it when he sleeps after you brush his teeth before bed he should only drink water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• did you cut ALL of his night-time nursing sessions out at once? That's not the best way to night-wean ;) One session per WEEK is standard. I guess you drop a couple more a week since you're pregnant and engorgement is not likely, but really cold-turkey at night is asking for trouble... You've cut a huge portion of his calories out and I bet you didn't replace them during the day with more food. You shouldn't have bothered with bottles either. Sippy cups are better. Get sippy's and only one cup milk at night - and brush his teeth again after. If you've already successfully night-weaned (is he asking to nurse? if he is you aren't successful yet) then do that. BUT you HAVE to step-up the calories in the day-time and you should try to keep nursing in the day, dropping one session a week til weaned. Try to take this a bit slower. You cannot directly replace nursing with milk, btw. It's not enough calories or nutrients.
    Anonymous

• Babies who drink too much milk will get anemic, other imbalance, and start having digestive troubles. Milk is not the same thing as breast milk.. Breast milk is more like formula than cow's milk. (Look at a formula can. Look at all the nutrients. Now, compare that to cow's milk. THEN think about how breast milk has -more- calories than formula, and has -more- nutrients, too! Then think about the diet you are feeding him. Is it -enough- or are you missing some key things?)

Maybe get some follow-on formula or some nutritional shakes if you are having issues getting him to eat enough solids. Drinking calories isn't the best plan, but it's a LOT better than a child getting severely anemic or sick in general from malnutrition (not intentionally caused of course, but drinking that much milk is bound to cause it!)

I understand weaning whilst pregnant, but you have to understand his health and baby sanity matters too.
    Anonymous

• My last remark sounded way too snarky. I meant. He has needs too. Just because he can't literally voice them, doesn't mean he doesn't have them. I think this asking for milk is also an emotional aspect and a "I need you" thing, too, not just a hungry baby. Nursing while pregnant can be annoying and the hormones in your body make it that way. But babies can't suddenly go from breast milk to just milk. It isn't healthy and I'm just attempting to get you to see that.
    Anonymous