tattle-teller vs helper

How do I get my 6 yr old to sound less like he's tattling and more like he is telling me something that would help out his little brother?

ex: "Mommy! I saw Liam jumping down the stairs two times!"

I don't want to tell him not to tell me something that could save his brother from a trip to the ER, but it sounds so much like he's tattling.

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't mean to be funny but I think that is one of the great mysteries of motherhood. :) I have a "helper" as well, so when you get the answer lemme know! :) LOL!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I always tell my kids if it's something someone could get hurt, they need to tell me. If it's something that could cause damage, they should tell me. If it's something that's annoying, just deal with it. lol They still don't really get it, and they are 9 & 6, but they are getting better.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The parameters we use are, if someone is hurt and needs help, tell me. If they're just being annoying, that's tattling.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:57 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• same as tropicalmama.

if someone can get hurt - tell me.

if you're just being a pest - please don't tell me.

mine are 9,6 and 3....and do it to each other all the time. but if I ask the 3 year old I get the straight answer of what REALLY happened.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would also like to know lol...My 3 year tells me everything, even when i am in the room with both of them lol ( Mommy, carson is riding his toy backwards....Mommy, carson put that in his mouth...Mommy carson is touching the tv stand) ....lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My mom encouraged tattling and so did I. Now my adult children encourage it as well. My mom's philosophy was to tell her everything and she could decide what's important and what is not. I like that. If you stifle his urge to share something with you then he may choose to not tell you when someone is harming him. Let it go. Be the mom and listen and make the decision. Don't make the child decide what he should and should not tell mom. Some bad person might even tell him Don't tell Mom and he might listen to them. My mom said if they tell you Don't Tell then you come tell FAST! She almost ate her words when she told me not to tell my grandmother she was smoking and I ran and told! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 4:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2010