Tipping your hairstylist....

How much do you tip your hairstylist for a wash, trim, and style?

Bears.Mommy

Asked by Bears.Mommy at 9:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• im a hairstylist and it just depends on what I do as to what I think is a fair tip. I have some guys that their hair is so super easy yet they still give me ten bucks and it only took 10 minutes, but they are loyal customers and they like knowing they will get a great cut everytime. A womens hair is generally going to take longer and they are more specific as to what they want so the tip wuld be a bit greater. If the toal cost of everything is about 20 bucks , id say anywhere between 5-10 bucks is a good tip. if the person spent like 70 for a cut color and style, then the tip is more like 10-15 simply because the stylist had to spend more time onone customer.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 5:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My sister is a hairstylist and she always says that you should tip at least 15%. She has a few customers that don't tip anything (and they are regulars) so most of the time she's happy to get even a small percentage.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 10:02 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• atleast 20%. If I love it, more.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• wow i feel really cheap i have never tipped a hair stylist lol! they are getting paid to do what they do! but i do live in a very country town and most of the stylists come up with their own prices depending on the style lol!! they way i feel if im already paying $60 for a style then your tip must already be included lmao!!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I usualy tip between 15% and 20% depending on how happy I am with the service.

secondtyme520.....Many aren't paid to do what they do....many rent the chair space and only earn a commission of the work they do. Tips are the only money that's truely theirs and theirs alone. Anyone who performs a service doesn't pocket the fee, unless they own the company. For example: plumbers...those guys with roto rooter turn that $500 bucks they charged you into the office, they maybe earn $70 of that (depending on what they did)!

I tip anyone who performs a service for me. And as an owner of a carpet cleaning business, we frequently get tips when we do a good job....just yesturday we got a $20 tip!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• i get my hair cut at a hair design school, so they get paid nothing. i figure they are in school (most are right outta high school) so they probably have a night job. but since its only $15 to get my hair washed, cut, & styled there, i tip way more than 20%. so usually about $10 if the cut is right and $15 if its perfect...that still leaves me paying half of what i use to!

when i use to get my hair cut at a salon that was owned by the stylist and i paid $70 to get my hair cut (this was before my DD) i never tipped him. he set the prices, he owned the shop, so he was getting all the money...plus i usually had to wait an hour after my appt time b/c he had squeezed someone in right before me.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I tip 20% if I like what they did. If not, 15% for trying

Answer by admckenzie at 2:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• idk, usually i get a touch up on my relaxer and then wash, style, etc. and that costs $70 and i give her $25 tip and if there is a shampoo girl i give her $5 unless she gets my shirt wet and then she gets $0. i have gotten burned from the relaxer before and in that case i tipped $0 bc i was not satisfied and she's lucky i paid to get it done ( obviously i did not go to her again lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2010