Can anyone tell me what a Passover celebration involves?

We have been invited to spend Passover with a friend's family. She says it will be about three and a half hours before we eat. What will we be doing all this time and is this a somber occasion?

I plan on bringing flowers, are their any traditional gifts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Passover is a celebration of the Jews release from captivity from Egypt. Before eating there will most likely be a reading from a Haggadah which re-tells the story of the Exodus with passages, prayers and song. During the reading there will also be symbolic things to participate in to remember the hardship and bitterness of slavery and and the joy of leaving- like eating bitter herbs. Depending on whom you celebrate with may affect the overall attitude. For our family it is reverent but joyous. We dress up, but we also gear our Haggadah towards the children because the re-telling is mostly for them to learn as well as a yearly reminder and celebration for us. Something also to remember is no food items with leaven (yeast) in them will be eaten (nor are they eaten the next 7 days) so food gifts like cookies or wine that is not labeled as kosher for Passover would not be best at this time.
    I hope this answer helped a little.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Don't bring food, unless that you are positive that it is Pesadich (kosher for Passover). The answer above is quite complete.

We also have a raucous seder, with lots of singing and plastic frogs.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Thanks ladies for the info.
    I am told we will take turns reading. I can only hope this will be followed by a "raucous seder" as well. :-)
    I am thinking three and a half hours of reading will be tough on the kids.

Do I say "Happy Passover", or perhaps not???
    Anonymous

• Chag Sameach (KHAHG sah-MEHY-ahkh) - Hebrew. Literally, joyous festival. This is an appropriate greeting for just about any holiday, but it's especially appropriate for Sukkot, Shavu'ot and Pesach (Passover), which are technically the only festivals
    Anonymous