Will I have a job when I get out of school? (going into the medical field)

I am currently working toward becoming a nurse and would like to go all the way to becoming a Certified Nurse Midwife which means I need to get a job as a labor and delivery nurse but I'm worried with the economy and the passing of the health care bill that I will spend all this time in school for nothing.

It's a really scary thought!

How likely is it that I'll have a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on where you live, how good your grades and licensing exam scores are, your related work experience, how well you did as an intern and how high up the people on your reference (connections) list is!

Having a college degree--even in a medical or specialty field is NOT a guarantee of securing a job! There has to be a demand for your job, you have to be among the best at what you do, willing to work crazy hours, do things beyond your job description, and maybe start a lower salary--just to get your foot in the door! I think there are far too many graduates that think they can be "VP" in less than 6 months!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• That is a question best answered with your school counselor based on the AREA you live in. Your grades/curriculum, experiences, and other credentials...  To rely on CM to answer this question about your life seems rather random.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• How could you be out a job with more people seeking health care?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

***
    If the employer is having to pay out more money than it is taking in, services and employment will be cut or frozen. That's how! Basic laws of supply and demand!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:10 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

If Dr's aren't getting paid enough for Medicaid patients (for example), they won't hire new nurses. THe 11pm news just did a story on the hiring in our 4 local hospitals. Where at least 350 other nurses have applied for one 3rd shift position.  1st shift positions had over 1000 applicants.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• With the population aging, you WILL get a job. (I'm 52, I've been a nurse for 31 years and I have been starting to wonder "who" is going to be taking care of ME! As soon as you are eligible, put in your applications for L&D positions. You may have to wait for a while to get "the" job that you want, but any job working as a nurse is going to give you extremely valuable experience. Once you put apps in for L/D, call back every few months. L/D nurses DO leave for one reason or another (retirement, they move away, they start their own families, etc.) Openings DO happen. Good luck to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Uh, can all the other people who have just graduated college and can't find jobs blame it on the bill?
    Anonymous

• You're choosing a good field to go into. People will ALWAYS need healthcare. People will ALWAYS be having babies. You just have to be extremely tenacious and not give up. Have an unending passion for what you do. Don't give up. Be willing to work your way up from the bottom if you have to. If I have the drive to do it, I know you can do it too :)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Um, there will be more people insured so you will be needed more.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 1:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If Dr's aren't getting paid enough for Medicaid patients (for example), they won't hire new nurses. THe 11pm news just did a story on the hiring in our 4 local hospitals. Where at least 350 other nurses have applied for one 3rd shift position. 1st shift positions had over 1000 applicants.

Well here in Cali they are begging people to become nurses as there are not enough to fill the need.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 1:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2010