15 months and sharing?

My son just started daycare and I am the teacher in the room with him and the other 6 kids...he seems to have a hard time sharing right now, which doesn't surprise me at all b/c he is an only kid and has been home since birth til now. But is there anyway to help him understand sharing better? I have shown him over and over and he just doesn't understand yet.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you just have to keep at it. Be sure to give a lot of praise when something is shared, and have a consequence (time-out, or whatever you use) when something is taken from another child. I think sharing is a pretty advanced concept for a 15 month old, but with practice it will eventually get better. I have twins, so they don't have the only child excuse. They had a lot of difficulty with sharing until sometime after their second birthday. They are 2 1/2 now and doing much better, but it is still something we have to reinforce from time to time.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• This is probably something that all the kids in your room need to work on. At my twins' daycare they had circle time at that age where they worked on identifying each other by name and other simple things. Maybe make up games where they have play food or something that they share with one another. You could use this to work on sharing as well as learning names and saying please and thank you.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:46 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• the issue with sharing has nothing to do with him being an only child, it's just not a common thing for 15 months olds to pick up even if they are taught at that age. Good habit to teach at that early age, but they don't quite grasp it yet. Teach the baby by example! If he wants something you're holding, over emphasize "you want this block? I will share it with you!" if he hands it back, say "thank you for sharing!"
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Most kids can't grasp the concept before age three.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• i don't think he is old enough to grasp sharing right now but you can get him started on the right track...when he is at home always ask to play with his toys before you touch them...and when he does share say something like "it makes me feel happy when you share with me"...children love to make others feel happy...if he snatches a toy out of your hand say "it makes me feel sad when you take away they toy" and make a sad face...it will help him learn facial expressions and learn that sharing is a way of being nice...don't ever force him to share...if you force him he will think of it as a "duty" or "chore" and not do it out of the sheer joy of making others happy and have fun with him
    Anonymous

• A child of this age absolutely cannot grasp the concept of sharing. You can model it and work with the kids, but don't "expect" them to get it. Try to encourage things like trading so that each child still has something, that sort of thing. Basically for a child under 3, when you tell them they need to "give Johnny a turn with the truck now" it feels about the same as someone telling you "I'm going to cut off your right arm and give it to him for his turn now".
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010