Baby poo question..

DD is three months old. For the first 8 weeks I BF and she only pooped once a day. Her doctor said that was normal for breastfed babies, my lactcation consulant at WIC said she should be pooping more. Now I am FF and she is still only pooping once a day. Is it normal? I thought formula babies pooped more. She doesn't act like she has any problems or anything, she's not gassy. And she eats about 25 ounces or more a day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is a WIDE range of normal when it comes to baby bowl movements. I would focus more on comfort of your baby. Like you said she seems comfortable and not gassy, I would be assured. If she starts having trouble having BM's, and looks in pain when she does, starts drawing her legs up and crying, those would be cues that she is uncomfortable. Sounds like she is good though!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• the PP is right....there is no right specific times a day all "normal" babies go. My FF daughter is also 3 months and she typicaly goes twice a day but sometimes only once. For her that is normal, some babies may go 3 or 4 times or even more, all babies are different.....some babies only go once every other day, and for them as long as it's not a constipated consistancy that's normal as well.

A constipated consistancy will be pellet like....picture rabbit poop or a bunch of raisins in a diaper...unless your babies poops look like that is is going just the way she should be.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The lactation consultant at WIC is wrong. There is very little waste in breastmilk, so a EBF baby could even go days without pooping and it would be totally fine. As long their poop is dry or pellet like, or baby doesn't seem to be having any tummy trouble, there is NOTHING to worry about. My son is EBF and on solids and he only poops once a day usually, and has been that way for a few months now. In the future, you are better off taking advice from an actual doctor than someone that works at WIC. Generally they have no training in this sort of thing.
    Anonymous