Question for JWs

First off, please don't take this question as a dig on your beliefs! I was raised JW and hold a great respect for your beliefs. But there are still things I don't understand and this is one of those things...

The bible as we know it was pieced together at the Counsel of Nicaea. At this same time the Nicaean Creed was written.

My question is, how can you accept the Bible and yet not the Nicaean Creed?

I understand that you believe the Bible is correct and complete, but by believing that you are assuming these men had some kind of "holy inspiration" to get it right... So why do you dismiss other things that happened at this meeting such as the belief in Jesus as God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's a link that explains that it wasn't just the Councel of Nicaean that set Canon. LINK

it was to long to post in here so I C&P it on my journal page.

I hope this helps in answering your question.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The Bible is man made...guess that shouldn't be accepted either.
    Anonymous

• All religions have to pick and choose what they believe especially the ones that are using some of the same texts as others.
    Anonymous

• See, even m2KnL agrees with my JP....

m2KnL:It's important to remember that the canon of the New Testament was not the result of any pronouncement by any official of the church or any organizational body. Rather, the canon was determined by the authoritative use of these books right from the start by the rapidly expanding Church of the first and second centuries.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Jesus was just a man. Laying the foundation for a story. Man made.
    Anonymous

• So OP did this answer your question?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• A creed is a statement of religious beliefs, every time we answer what we believe about God we are expressing, in some form, a creed. Even you M2, based on your responses I understand your creed to be "I believe everyone but me is wrong in their understanding of the bible"

Romans was written by Paul, the biblical canon did not exist at that time, the gospel referred to is limited to Paul's writings only, not the writtings of everyone.
    Anonymous