how did you potty train your two year old? all ideas will help thanks..oh its a boy being potty trained by the way!

thanks

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 12:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck hun. We are going through the potty training thing and ugh! He will sit on the potty for 20 mins and not pee even though I know hes got to (he has a pee pee dance he does when he's gotta go) and then he will get up and will pee in the floor! I get soooooooo aggravated at him so I am backing off for about 2 weeks and see what happens. I have 4 months before our other baby gets here and I want him well on his way to being fully potty trained. I have also heard that boys are more stubborn and I believe that because my SIL has my niece potty trained and she is a lazy mom. There are 13 days between the kids too so its not an age thing. So I think its easier for girls.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Oh and I prefer to use the "bare bottom" method. When its warm let him run around naked from the waist down and that way you and he will both know when he pees. I think it teaches them quicker what "got to pee pee" is. Sure its messier but I just prefer that method because then there is no doubt. And my son will tell me "pee pee in floor" and shake his head no so he knows better but he will get there. And when he does pee in the floor I will tell him no and to go sit on the potty and pee. We will get there eventually.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I never trained a two year old! My kids were about three...more verbal, they can understad what is expected and talk about it. They can physically pull downt their pants and get on and off the toilet. When they are really old enough, it is not such a big process. Just something you talk about and then they do it. No accidents, no bedwetting. No prolonged "training" period. I know people do it earlier, and some kids might really be ready before close to three, but if your kid is really ready you will know.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Don't count on it; boys generally will not potty train until 3+. I would have a potty available though.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010