how long should I wait to see doc about diahrea?

My 20 month old son has had loose stools for over a week and a few days ago it turned into very watery diahrea. Yesterday he had pretty much no bm, but this morning he reaaly had to gi and told me, but couldn't finally he did and it was really bad. He has been congested for a little over a week now and its almost gone. I put him on the brat diet (bread, rice, applesauce and toast) but did give him some chicken yesterday. He's had pedialyte as well and some watered down juice and I'm not concerned about dehydration right now. So I don't think the doc would say anything different, but if this continues how long should I wait to take him in?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd call the doctor's office and ask them.
    Anonymous

• my dd had diarehea for 3 weeks last winter she was just over a year old she ended up having rotavirus whcih that has to run its course but if he is congested it may be from that from all the dranage. Just give lots og gatorade or pediylite. If you get to concered you can always call the doctor and see what they tell you
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• yeah, we went through the flu last year, all of us, but this time he's the only one sick, and no throwing up :) But usually the flu last no longer than 4 or so days with our family. We never sawthe doctor because I knew what it was and what to do, this times I'm not sure if its the flu, or something else. If he's lactose intolerant, which was what I was considering, than just cutting dairy we would know, right?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I woudnt give too much gaterade just because the doc said that sometime the sugars in it can actualy make it worse . Iwould stick with pedealite and if your worried just call and ask yr doc they should be able to tell you over the phone wheather they think you need to bring em in or not... Good luck and hope he feels better soon
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You havent even taken him to be seen yet and its been over a week!? Wow, ummm I would take him like now.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• well he has loose stools for a week, not necessarily diahrea. He's only had full blown diahrea for 2 days.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Dehydration is the big concern. I would call and ask if they think a visit is necessary.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I'd check with the doctor but I suspect they'll tell you you're doing pretty much everything. Keeping an eye on dehydration is key but it sounds like you're already aware of that. You might also try adding probiotics to his food and see if that helps. We used Culturelle which comes in capsule form. Just add one into food or drink once a day. can't hurt and it may very well help. Odds are it's virus that has to run its course. good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• oh yes, I have been giving probiotic, but I should do it more regularly
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• and he's still breastfeeding
    Precious333