Can your 2.5 year old do these things or is my son above average?

He will be 3 in July so he's a little over 2. 5 but I had got one of those boards with the pen attached and it had the little stamps that came with it and the slide bar to erase their creativeness and I can write any letter of the alphabet in upper case and he can tell me what it is. He can also count to 20 and he knows his alphabet. He also knows his shapes, his colors and his numbers, through 20. My husbands aunt said that her grandson didn't even know those things and he is almost 4 BUT his parents dont teach him things like that. I started with him early, not really realizing what I was doing but just taking up time with him and he caught on quick. Is this normal for his age or is he above average?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes thats normal lol
    Anonymous

• When my kids were that age, they could both do that, too. But then again, both my kids were (and still are) academically advanced.

So, I guess the answer to your question would be yes, they could, and yes, he's advanced. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• my 2 older children were not this advanced, but my youngest (2 feb 1st) can. i think she caught on so quick because she was always there when i was teaching these things to my 5 and 4 yr old. there are 9 mo old babies who can read words. it's all about what you teach them.
    Anonymous

• Yea that's normal. My 23 month old can do nearly all those things as well, minus counting to twenty.
    Anonymous

• Sounds about right for kids who are not delayed and have parents who actually work with them. My son who is almost 2 (next month) can count to 7, knows all his body parts even the tricky ones (shin, elbow, fingernails, etc), knows how to get his shoes on and can point out 3 or 4 colors when asked.

Sounds like you're doing a good job, mommy. :-) Keep up the good work!
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• every child develops differently, at different lengths and in different areas. Some are more academic, especially when its given to them a lot, some are more physically developes, some musically, some artistically etc.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My niece has been able to do that for a while. She will be 3 at the end of May. He sounds normal to me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• lol developed, not developes
    Precious333

• Sounds normal to me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It might be a bit advanced, but not super unusual. My oldest child could do most of that at 2, the 2nd could do most of it by 2 1/2, and the 3rd child is not quite there yet at 2 1/2.
    Anonymous