How much is your average electric bill?

Ours used to be about $60 in the winter and about $90 in the summer. Since they hiked the prices, my bill has been in between $150-220. Mind you, we have gas heat, so just imagine what it would be like in the summer if we dare turn on the central air. I am infuriated. They said it would only go up 30%. When I called complaining that it is WAY more than 30%, they said we are using more. BULLSHIT..........I am still a sahm mom of a toddler and we don't use any more electric than last year....nothing has changed. Is anyone else going through this? I think it's ridiculous. I only keep the lights on in the room that I am in..........they are ripping us off big time. I tried to see how much a budget would be. They told me $250/month..........I have never had a bill that high, but that's what they would expect me to pay monthly. Our bill has doubled and they are saying it's because we use more. They are lying.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ours ranges between $50 and $70. We save some money by using a different supplier for the electricity we use. We have National Grid but use Ambit energy to supply it. We still only get a bill from national grid but pay less for the supply AND we no longer have to pay the delivery charge tax (national grid is the deliverer) and that saves us about $5-$7 a month right there.

Plus at night we turn power strips off that have our tv, cable box, computers and cell phone charges plugged into...that cut down our bill by another $15 or so a month!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• $60 winter and $120 summer. I live in FL.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It runs between $55 and $76.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• $57 all year round. I am trying to get it down from that too! But I am very anal about having lights off when no one is in the room and making sure we are conserving as much energy as we possibly can.
    Anonymous

• Usually between $100-$135. I am a sahm and right now it is worth it to me to pay the extra money to be comfortable in my own home. We usually keep the thermostat between 72 and 73.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• in the winter its about 90 and in the summer about 30. we have electric heat too and an electric stove.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The lowest it's been in the past 5 years was $98, and the highest it's been in the last 5 years was $420; most of the time it's between $150 and $250. We've just moved to a bigger house, so I hate to see what it's going to be like this summer. The kids and I are at work, school, and daycare during the week, but my husband works from home and runs a lot of computers.

If you have your old bills you can compare the usage stated on the bills.
    Anonymous

• In the summer $90 and in the winter $200 the most. Ours actually went down once we changed our lights to the energy saving lights.
    Anonymous

• Unplug appliances not in use
    Use compact fluorescent light bulbs
    Vacuum the coils on your refrigerator

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• $120. When we first moved here 6 years ago it was $60. They keep raising the cost and it's supposed to double what it is now by next year. We already do all the energy saving things.
    Anonymous