How to get her to take a bottle?

It's not a nipple thing, but a source thing. She won't take any bottle from anyone. She just chews on it and rolls it around in her mouth and after several minutes of this screams her head off till I rescue her.

I really need to go back to work but dh refuses to keep her till she takes a bottle.

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nanny for a little girl who did this same thing. You just have to let her cry until she is hungry enough to eat and if you breastfeed once you're home you'll ruin the progress. Try the Gerber bottle or Dr. Brown. They both are very similar to a mothers nipple.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Your husband needs to give her the bottle when you are not around, and when she is not starving. It might also help if you wrap her in a t-shirt that you have slept in.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• She will not starve. Eventually, she'll take it from him. Just make sure you are no where in the house. Check out kellymom.com and look up reverse cycling. My DD did this for the first month after I went back to school. She only took about 5oz from her babysitter and nursed like crazy after we got home. DD also liked the latex Drop-ins nipples best. The latex is softer and has a more "nipple" feel.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 4:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• my dd didnt like the bottle either when i was switching her but i found the nuk bottle and she took right to them. they are shaped exactly like a nipple is when it is in their mouth and it even has that wide base to feel like she is on the breast. you could try that. also try wrapping her in a blanket or tshirt that smells like you and maybe when she isnt so hungry or try it when she is really hungry. but i could swear up and down about those nuk bottles they not only helped keep nipple confusion away but she took to them right away and they also helped control her colic a bit. I wished i would have known about them when my first was born.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2010