Pagans Please....

I saw a post from yesterday. A Christian posted links to sites from a few different religions saying Christianity was derived from paganism...Is this true?
It also said that the founders of Christianity were Judaist/ Pagans... Is this true?
If so why was she attacked so viciously fo speaking the truth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is a beautiful thing when we can celebrate our simularities all the while staying true to our faith. It shouldn't lessen a persons belief but give them a deeper understanding.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Christianity is a clarification (if you believe Jesus was Christ) or deviation of Judaism. That is the historical basis of the religion. Christianity moved into many areas early in it's existence that were not Jewish & as the religion grew the church leaders found it convenient to absorb many of the traditions from the existing religions, which were Pagan, of those areas. So many of the traditions which Christians embrace are Pagan. Also the mythology of Christianity is very similar to myths around the world. The myths recorded in the Bible are probably different versions of previous myths, adapted to fit the ideals of the time and place, and applied to a charismatic Jewish leader who some felt was the Christ. Humans had been contemplating spiritual issues for many thousands of years before Christianity emerged, they weren't really going to be able to come up with something new.

Anonymous

• It IS true, and she was attacked because people don't want to understand that Christianity wasn't the first and only religion. These are the same people that will turn a blind eye to the witch burnings and say that pagans worship the devil (which they don't even believe in). Christians made their holidays coincide with pagan holidays so that it would be easier to convert pagans. They also kept a lot of the same traditions for the same reasons.
    Anonymous

• I should have said - the myths of the New Testament were applied to a charismatic Jewish leader who some felt was the Christ.

Anonymous

• Christianity did not blink into existence in a void. If you believe that a church's teachings are correct you probably believe that people had been struggling to understand God and mostly failing until Jesus came to teach the people. If you are not a Christian you probably see the similarities in the religions that came before Christianity and assume that early Christians formed their religion to meet their needs, using the only thing available to them at the time, the beliefs of others and guesses. The only FACTS are that other religions existed before Christianity and many of them had a lot in common with Christian beliefs and rituals. It seems like idiocracy to argue that early Christians did not borrow any of those things from the religions that came before.

Anonymous

• You are referring to my post. I based it off of facts. However it is hard for some to except the truth, in what they believe. As well most Christians view paganism to be sinful devil whorship and don't want the association. I don't feel that way. I love the pagan religion as well as all religions. They are all very intreging For some it is to much of a test to what they believe they can't take it.Some just can't except locic. I could've also worded my question better, but I was having a crappy day and that reflected in my question. I will try again when I am not so crabby. Thanks for this I appreciate it. By the way it was also said in there I was insulting pagans. I( want to clarify I was in no way doing so.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It is true that many Christian things came from Pagan roots. Christians took Pagan beliefs/activities and changed them in order to better convert Pagans. Some holidays celebrated by Christians have Pagan roots. Christmas, stems from Yule. Easter stems from Eostre/Ostara. You can read more about Pagan Sabbats HERE.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010