What can he have?

My baby is almost 7 months and I EBF until 6 months. My question is my other boys were low muscle tone and so they didn't meet their milestones on time. This baby is already sitting up and crawling so what I would like to know is what can I give him to eat? Is he ready for puffs yet or just 2nd foods or pureed fresh steamed foods or can he have more heartier things yet? He only has one tooth. He likes bananas and avocados but seems board with the gerber jarred foods and barely eats a whole one. But twice this week he has been out with me and tried to pull plates off the table to get to the food. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Amanda3983

Asked by Amanda3983 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't do anything more than fruits and veggies with him for now. Low muscle tone has nothing to do with solid food before age 1. And personally, I'd just cook and mash your own because the jarred stuff tastes like crap (I always tasted it, and if I thought it tasted gross, I didn't want to feed it to my daughter). Anything with higher protein can cause stomach trouble. Just because he pulls at stuff and grabs at stuff doesn't mean his little tummy is ready for it. Just try out more fruits and veggies. Roast sweet potato was always a big hit with my daughter, and it mashes up very nicely.
    Anonymous

• My son loved baby food up until about 7 months as well then he refused to eat it. I just started him on small pieces of whatever we were eating at the table and he adjusted quickly and just fine. Sounds like your little man is the same way! Give it a try, slowly and see how he does. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If you need to puree it, he isn't ready.

When he is ready you can place soft vegetables and fruits in front of him and he can feed himself.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 5:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You can start giving him easily mushable table foods at six months.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• www.kellymom.com has lots of info on starting solids with breastfed babies.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• just start putting some soft baby bite sized pieces of foods on his tray and see what he does. If he picks it up, chews it and swallows it and reaches for more then you know he is ready! Pea sized pieces of ripe banana, soft steamed veggies etc.
    I don't think it is true that protein is harder to digest. Meat is actually easy to digest. Little pieces of soft cooked chicken breast and ground beef make great finger food.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Thank you to everyone who answered. He did very well today and had mostly pureed or mashed foods. I will continue with this for a little longer and move into mashed or really soft foods from what we are eating. My friend has a food mill she will be loaning me and I will make him foods from what I make for the family as well. Thanks again.

Amanda
    Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2010