How do you plan meals with food stamps?

I need help making my food last all month! We always seem to run low on food towards the end of the month. I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap weekly meal plans I could use? We have been buying our groceries in one sitting for the whole month and I think that's why we are running low towards the end of the month. Thanks in advance.

Also its me, my dh, and my 2 year old dd who I will be feeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Health

• I use the woman's day month of menues but sub out all the expensive meats (fish, lamb, etc) for cheaper or whats on sale. Our FS generally cover almost the whole month (ie, I end up paying for a couple meals worth of food, but thats OK). Also, watch the snack foods- crackers, granola bars, cereals- anything convienence based is going to cost an arm and a leg. Nothing beats celery with PB and raisens anyway.
    Anonymous

• Wouldn't you just do the normal type of shopping? Look to see what's on sale and plan meals around that. Maybe you can figure out how to shop twice/month so you can get sales more often and things will be fresher. Check out 2 for special recipes: make a roast, use the leftovers, type of thing. I'm positive that you can find some info on recipe sites (google them). Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I buy a lot of chicken breast and ground beef. You can make all kinds of meals with those two main ingredients. I buy the meat in bulk and seperate it when I get home into smaller quantities and stick it all in the freezer. Usually once a month or so I will buy a whole chicken and use the bones for homemade stock since I seem to use chicken stock in just about everything. I am addicted to www.allrecipes.com I plan most of my meals using that website. The more you plan ahead the farther the money will stretch. Good luck!
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 4:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• first off how much to do you if you dont mind me asking i get roughly about 640 for 5 people i make fritoe pie which is chili cheese n fritoes n a nice salad .. we make chicken and yellow brocli rice its cood take yellow rice w broc in it with chesse and get can chicken make it .. i also do porkchops n mac n cheese i also do sheppards pie which is mash pot and a host of veggies with smoke sausage or whatever meat i have .. spagettii for dinner breakfastfor dinner ... like this week we are having
    chicken n rice
    porkchops
    spagetti
    compete bake of fedchine alfredo
    frito pie

thursday is tv dinner night my early night and fri day off lol
    fri we do lasuange
    sat hamb helper

i hope this helps pm me if you need more idead im the second eldest of 13 so my mom had to make ours streach lol
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 5:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• RavenSwift- we get $215 a month. I also get WIC for myself (i'm preggo) and my DD.

And another thing is, my DH and my DD are pretty picky. The only veggies my DH will eat is corn and green beans. My DD won't eat any of it. Sometimes they will eat fruit. I LOVE a variety of food but I can't eat it bc of them and it sucks....ugh.
    Anonymous

• We get 389 for a family of 5... 640 for 5? Wow... that is a lot... But anyways... I don't buy processed packaged foods. Unless you qualify whole wheat pasta and rice processed. WE get a lots of fresh and frozen fruits and veggies and we plan every meal out and make sure that for dinner we leave enough for lunch the next day. Breakfasts is either eggs and toast, oatmeal, or cereal ( store brand, its cheap), No soda, just water and milk, sometimes juice. We spend about $40 a week. Depending on what we do and what is on sale.
    Anonymous

• hillbillyhousewife.com has cheap good meal plans.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I like hillbillyhousewife.com too... and I get $600 something for me and my 3 small children, one being an infant. hehe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Make your own cleaning products
    Replace meats with dried beans, dried lentils, tofu, etc.
    Cook from scratch: pizza, burritos, etc.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2010