• In the Spotlight:

When do you change your child from an infant carseat to one of those convertable car seats that face rear and forward?

hmf122

Asked by hmf122 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter grew out of the infant carseat about 9months old. we had to buy two carseats because it depends who picks her up from daycare. but it depends on the weight of the baby. she is still rear facing and just turned a year. iwill keep her there for awhile. there are alot of choices. i was overwelmed. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• After their first birthday. It's the law.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• DD has been in a convertible seat from day 1. We have a True Fit for DH's truck and a Graco Myride 65 for my car. I'll keep her RFing until she outgrows the weight/height requirements of the seat. DS was RFing in a covnertible seat from about 10m/o until he was 30m/o. He was teetering at the 33-34lb mark and his seat went to 35lbs, so he went FFing. If you have any questions about a particular seat the car seat safety group is great!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 3:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• We have a graco convertible carseat. My daughter outgrew her infant seat around 6 months.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 4:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You should switch to a rear-facing convertible carseat when your baby reaches either the weight limit for the infant seat, or when s/he has less than 1 in. of the carseat's shell above the top of her head (outgrown by height this way).

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Whenever you want, as long as you keep them RF to AT LEAST 12 mos and 20 lbs, preferably longer.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My 15 month old is STILL in her infant carrier lol but she is 19 pounds and DOES not gain weight easily..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You can keep your child in their infant seat till either they reach the weight limit or there is 1 inch of hard shell above their head. After that you can buy them a convertible seat. I would stay very far away from the 3 in 1 seats, they have very low harness heights and make very bad boosters. I would go with a sunshine kids radian (rear faces to 45 pounds on the 80ls and xtsl models and forward faces to 80) if you can swing the $300 or so it costs. If not then a graco my ride (rear faces to 40 and forward faces to 65) would get a great option that doesn't cost more than about $150. If none of those are in your budget, a cosco scenera is a good seat that you can get at walmart for about $50. It will only rear face till about 2, and then will harness most to about 4, but it will give you time to save up some money for a better seat later on.
    mommyof2grls06

Answer by mommyof2grls06 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• When they hit the weight requirement. Both by law and by the carseat standards.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• By law they have to be rear facing til 1 My daughter grew out of her little car seat tho just a couple months ago so we have the rear facing forward face convertible car seat.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2010