Is it okay to let an 18 month old cry herself to sleep when she's sick? Considering she hasn't slept much in 2 days despite all of our efforts? Thanks

I've been holding her from sun up to sun down and she's maybe slept a total of 4 1/2 hours(including through the night last night).) I can't be up another night holding her while she stays awake.

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I use the "CIO" method on my kids, with the exception of being sick. I always cuddle my sick babies, I can't help it. Nothing beats the feeling they get when their mommy or daddy cuddles them to help them feel better.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I've always have had the let them "CIO" unless they are sick too. However, if you just need a break then you need a break...don't feel bad Mommy.... She'll be fine :) I hope she feels better soon so things can get back to normal for you all.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I've been there! You feel so awful leaving them when they are sick but know she needs the sleep. I know it's hard but I suggest you tuck her in and leave her. Being in your arms is keeping her from resting.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I never did CIO so I would say no, especially when sick try to just do relaxing things while holding her the heck with chores do what you have to and take care of that sick baby. IMO

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:50 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I hope that she feels better. I love the cio method, I did it w. both of my kids, but sick, nightmares, poop, pea, etc. absolutely not.. They are sick and just remember when we were kids and sick we also wanted 2b held and comforted... I am sure that u are exhausted but try 2 get some help and since she's over 1yr. have her lay down in bed w. u, I know that it sucks 4 any kid 2b sick but sleeping w. u 4 1 night might "magically" make her feel better:)

Answer by LOVEMYBOYS291 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• i give them sleepy time tea only half and or chamomile and rub them them down with lavender and give them a bath in the day sooo there not congested i dont give them milk it can cause higher fever soo no diary and do the vix stuff and make her comfortable

Answer by Patience1 at 4:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My suggestion is put yourself in her place. If you were really sick what would you prefer. The CIO method puts added stress on your baby that is bad for a cold. I would say cuddles and kisses would be the best remedy.

Answer by NoahsMommy612 at 4:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• When Ayden is sick and will not sleep I will of course cuddle with him most of the time but when it is bed time I give him a bottle of water (cause when he is sick he ALWAYS has a temp.) and let him lay in there and most of the time he is out with in 15 mins... he may cry a little and if it gets too bad I will bring him to our bed!! I hope she feels better very soon... Ayden just got over a virus... and I feel you on the sleepless nights!!! Good luck mom!

Answer by aydens_mama at 2:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• when my daughter katelin is sick and won't sleep i don't use the CIO never i can't stand to hear my baby cry like that and especially when she is sick but when she's sick i just give her kisses and hugs and sing her songs and lay on the couch and when its bed time i just either put her in her bed and just rub her back and sing her to sleep or i put some soothing music on sometimes though when that doesn't work i lay down with her in my bed and sing or play soothing music and usually it works but i have to give her tylenol and motrin (*taking turns with it*)

Answer by katesmom101 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• We also used CIO on our son, except for when he is sick. He almost always goes to sleep on his own anymore, unless he just feels like being onery! :)

Answer by JoeMama at 5:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2008