Punishments

Would you be ok with someone else spanking your child when you are there and are perfectly capable of taking care of punishment on your own. And if not, what would you say to them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would 100% NOT be ok with someone else spanking my child.

For no reason should anyone ever lay their hands on my child in such a way.
    If someone took it upon themselves to spank my child right in front of me, I would comfort my child then I would take that person over my knee and spank them.
    Then I would tell them they're lucky I don't call the police or do what I am imagining doing in my head to them.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It depends on who it is. If it is Grandma, I'd be ok with it. If anyone else, no.

However, why does the person feel it's necessary to step in? I'd wonder why I didn't take care of it first, especially if I'm there and perfectly capable of taking care of it myself.

Also, that person could say something to you first. idk. It could go a lot of ways.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I think I'd reserve spanking for life and death matters and teach a child right from wrong. Tell them what is expected and help them achieve that goal. No one should spank your child. They act out sometimes inappropriately and need to be told what is appropriate and what they should do in stead. I believe there are logical consequences and you should follow through every time with what you say. Consistent positive guidance is a life skill and parents are the best role models to provide it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• NO and spanking is not only ineffective but it's PUNISHMENT and NOT DISCIPLINE. There IS a difference. Someone hits my kid and God help them, their ass is mine. I don't hit them and no one else better either. I don't believe in hitting but if they want hitting then an eye for an eye, or a hit for a hit. It would be on.
    Anonymous

• If someone is so ignorant and lacking in parenting skills that they strike a child then they shouldn't have or be around children.
    Anonymous

• No one is permitted to lay a hand on my children without permission.
    Anonymous

• First of all .. Nobody, not even my husband or I spanks our child. I don't believe in hitting a child for any reason.
    Second of all .. Even if we did spank our child, not a single person outside of my husband or I would have permission to. I don't agree with the village raising one child. I am the parent, I will punish my child as called for.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I don't think it's okay, but if someone feels the need to spank your child maybe you need to take a look at your parenting. Control your child and not let him/her just run wild. My cousin just lets her kids run wild and it's really annoying. I would never spank them, though.
    Anonymous

• OP-See thats what pisses me off is DH's stepdad won't go spank the kids he's in charge of, but instead of letting me handle, and he knows I will, he starts going after him sayin he's gonna spank him. I'm not sure how to tell him I will handle it, without dealing with the drama of DH's parents.
    Anonymous