Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


My dh pays $600 a month for child support(for 2 children). That leaves us about $800 a month to live on... obviously he pays nearly half of his paycheck on child support. I have a child from a previous relationship and he is only ordered to pay $100 a month, that I have not recieved in 4 months. My dh and I also have 2 children together and one on the way. The fact that my dh has to pay child support is not my issue, my issue is these children(ages 8 and 11) could not possibly need $300 a piece every month when we have nothing... Please... What do you think???


Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (36)
  • You know, I agree. To be honest, it's quite a bit of money in my eyes if you aren't paying for kindergarten or private school. Every month it seems a lot. I get the food and activities costs but even so. I have two kids and we don't spend that amount on them. That said, I know my BIL pays very little for his two kids in Boise. Another friend in Oregon pays like $3-400 a month in child support. Divorced parents should split the cost equally to me.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • My step dad paid $500 per kid (3 kids), per month, plus spousal support, so $2000 / month. $300 per kid sounds not too bad.

    Answer by Pnukey at 3:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • It depends if it's joint custody or not. If he has the kids half the time then he's paying too much. If she has full custody then I'd say that's pretty reasonable.
    It's more than I get for my two kids. :)

    Answer by Laila-May at 3:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • I think you need to go back to court and ask for an increase in your child support. I don't know of anyone getting away with $100 a month.

    Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • Google child support calculator for your state. CS isn't supposed to take half your dh's income.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • I don't know anyone getting away with $100 a month. lol Try $50 a month for THREE children! That's the min they can pay without going to jail. Some claim no income but get paid under the table so the Court has to accept that nonsense.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • I think it is a fair amount, the courts base it on what he makes and what kind of custody agreement they have -- not on the + 4 kids you guys have in your home.....that is alot of kids on a little bit of money and I know that probably seems like alot to you, but it isnt the first birth moms problem...and you dont know is they need that money or not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • Thats just it... my x claims he doesn't work, so I would have to hire a lawyer and prove otherwise. I don't have the money for a lawyer...

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • Child support is based on income. Gross income. Of both the custodial and non custodial parents added together and then divided by the percentages. Was your husband earning a higher income when the support amount was set? If the support order has been in place for 3 years you can request a modification.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

  • Before you had kids with him you knew he had a financial obligation to his first children . The amount he pays for child support is resonable he is required by law to help provide a roof , food, and clothes for those kids so by those standards 800 dollars a month is nothing . If life is to hard maybe you Gould get a job and help provide for all these kids you guys seem to have . Gl

    Answer by abbyg at 4:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
sunburst pageant?