How do I get rid of dandruff in my 12yr daughter's hair, when 'dandruff shampoo' doesn't work?

We've tried selsum blue, T-gel, all the 'medicated' shampoos...but, her dandruff doesnt respond. Her hair is thick and long, she doesnt use conditioner, due to the fact, and we have tried numerous different shampoos to try and help. I have even mixed alittle baking soda in with her shampoo, to try and 'strip' the hair clean? yet, none of it has worked? Her dandruff isnt thick or extreme, it is just white, almost moist, in her hair. It would put you in mind of someone not rinsing all the conditioner out, and drying it anyways...kinda like that. If anyone has any suggestions, other than what we've already tried, with no success, obviously. We would be so thankful! I dont know what else to try??

udamskipy

Asked by udamskipy at 3:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Make sure before washing her hair every single time, to brush it really, really well.
    Get one of those coarse bristled brushes.
    Dandruff is dead, dry skin.
    Brushing the heck out of her hair and scalp will help loosen the dead skin cells and they will wash out in the shower.

Use a moisturizing dandruff shampoo and once every two weeks or once a month eve, do a hot oil treatment.

If it continues maybe take her to see a dermatologist(if it's affordable) or even just your family doctor to see if there's anything that can be done.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You're drying out her hair and scalp more by not conditioning and by constantly stripping it of its natural oils. She needs her scalp moisturized. Try doing an oil treatment on her scalp. Literally work some oil (coconut, olive, jojoba, etc) into her scalp, then wrap a towel around her head and let her sleep like that. Then in the morning, separate some eggs (two to three should be enough) and work the yolk into her hair before she showers to rinse it out. You can also do a mashed avocado mask for her hair in the same way as the yolk.

Bottom line is that you're not allowing the natural oils of her body to do their job, so you need to replace them.
    Anonymous

• It was suggested to me when I had really bad dandruff when I was pregnant, to find a conditioner with tea tree oil or to just treat my scalp with tea tree oil. It worked wonders.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• when my sister had dandruff that never went away it was because she had psoriasis.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Treat her scalp...a vinegar rince or using tea tree oil will return it to it's natural ph balance. There are some shampoos out now with tea tree oil in them - that's what we use now.
    Anonymous

• it sounds like you're washing her hair too often and why aren't you using conditioner? you need to use conditioner
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I used to have that same problem when I was her age. My hair is extremely thick. Every hairdresser I've ever had has said they've never seen such thick hair. For me, it was build-up from not being able to properly rinse my hair. At least that was a big part of it. What really helped me was using that clarifying neutrogena shampoo (forget what it's called, but it's in that small, squarish bottle), sudsing up really well, and then leaving the shampoo in for about 10 minutes (usually while I took the rest of my shower) to give it time to really dissolve the buildup. I'd scrub like crazy with my fingernails in my scalp. Then rinse really, really, really well. It may take a few times to get it all out. Then encourage her to rinse her hair very thoroughly each time, keep conditioner off her scalp (but use on the ends), and always use a clarifying shampoo.
    I don't think it sounds like true dandruff.
    Anonymous

• Tea tree oil shampoo. Trader Joes has a great, fairly non-toxic one. Avalon Organics makes a good one; you may be able to buy it at target.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Doesn't sound like dandruff to me but psoriasis. Try a shampoo for psoriasis.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• psoriasis... I had it when I was younger... Go to the doctor, and get a perscription for some shampoo, thats the only thing that helped me.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2010