How do I kill my plants?

Ok I know most people want to keep their plants alive, but I have the opposite problem. I want to kill my plants. You see, I have this flower bed area that grows mostly wild grasses. The people who lived here previous to us tossed wild flower seeds in among the tulips, daffodils, and the rose bush from hell. My MIL wants the tulips and daffodils, so I plan on digging those up and transplanting, but I can't get rid of this rose bush. We've dug as far down as we can and pulled it up twice. We've been able to successfully transplant it both times to my MIL's house. But it just keeps coming back!!! I hate that darn bush. Does anyone know what I can use to kill everything in the bed? I want to just start over, but I don't know how to get rid of it all, especially that rose!!!

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Roundup.
    Anonymous

• Don't water it?
    Anonymous

• Is there absolutely no way you can grow to LOVE it???? Maybe you could love it to death. (don't tell IT that I said REVERSE psychology!, LMAO!!!!)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• http://www.duneland.com/garden/messages/152.html

http://www.gardenguides.com/82726-rid-rose-sharon.html

Those may help. It may just take several years of pruning back and/or pulling it out if it's really stubborn.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Round up isn't strong enough to kill the rose bush. And I don't water it, but I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, so there is no shortage of rain here. And even in the driest months of the summer the darn thing keeps growing. And no, there is no way I can grow to love it! lol.. It's ugly, and it gets really big. It grows out over the walk way and the more I trim it, the more it grows, and faster.
    Thanks for the ideas though ladies :)... Any one else?
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Gasoline would probably do it, or bleach, but then the ground would be totally unusable for at least a year or two.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• by pruning back I mean take a chainsaw to it and cut it down to the stump until it dies lol. It's a method I thought I was going to have to use on a bush in our backyard; I think the late snow we had finally killed it off, which means we can reclaim the hill it has taken over.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The reason it grows more when you trim it is because when a plant's stem tips become exposed it sends a signal to start new growth at those exposed tips. In a way, you are causing the problem you are trying to fix. Try the chainsaw approach. After you have cut it down to the stump, poison the stump. If no new growth appears, remove the stump and any root bits you can find (some rose bushes can regrow from their roots) and refill the hole with new soil and pack it firmly down, not super compacted, but enough that any small growth can't go anywhere.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Battery acid will definately kill it, but it will also render the soil unuseable for some time.
    Anonymous

• Use vinegar full strength.
    southernliving

Answer by southernliving at 12:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2010