How do I get rid of these bumps on my arm ?

I have these bumps on my arm .... I call them chicken bumps they kind of look like little pimples but they are not pimples please help summer is coming and I want to wear short sleeves !

abbyg

Asked by abbyg at 4:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• use a lot of lotion, and a little sun will help.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I have them too. I have no idea how to get rid of them - except lotion seems to make it worse.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Lotion doesn't work I have tried so many different ones .
    abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 4:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• both my husband and kids have it. it isnt eczema although doctors treat it the same. you need to get a couple of prescription hodrocortizone lotions and they will slowly go away. its called Keratosis Pilaris. you can also try useing Glycolic Acid (AHA), Lactic Acid, Urea, Vitamin A Treatments, Microdermabrasion. I must point out that it is genetic and there is no cure. our doc told me that things that can make it worse or cause it to crop up are certain soaps, baths and showers being too hot, and some lotions. It can also get worse in the winter due to low humidity. talk to your doc about some treatment options some work better for some while not others so its a trail and error with treatments. GL
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• well put laura. i was about to post the same thing. My family has KP as well, and have been told many times by doctors that don't care to take a second look that it's eczema.

Do a little research with KP and experimenting may be the way to go. They do make a cream for it, but it's new, i don't know how well it works, and it is expensive but it's by DERMAdoctor. I guess they do have a few products with it, but there are also a few home rememdy's. Dont know how well any work, but mine don't seem to bother me to bad. Good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 7:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Keratosis pilaris ( The Chicken Skin Condition). 2 out of 3 of my boys have it. Dh has it and I'm hoping DD doesnt get it. It is very annoying and can be depressing or some women. It is a very common genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin.

It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms (though the lower arms can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs, hands, and tops of legs, flanks, buttocks, or any body part except glabrous skin (like the palms or soles of feet). Worldwide, KP affects an estimated 40% of the adult population.While there is no cure for keratosis pilaris, there are palliative treatments available. The efficacy of these treatment methods is directly related to the individual's commitment and consistency of use.

CONTD
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Creams containing the acid form of vitamin A, Tretinoin, have been shown to help. Most commonly sold under the trade name Retin-A, it is a topical retinoid medically approved in the treatment of acne. This medicine works by causing the outer layer of the skin to grow more rapidly, decreasing the amount of the keratin in the skin. As a result, the surface layer of the skin becomes thinner and pores are less likely to become blocked, reducing the occurrence of symptoms related to acne. While keratosis pilaris is not acne, some believe this action may be of benefit to those with KP as well.

Another retinoid that has the potential to help with keratosis pilaris is Adapalene. Benefits include increased stability when applied in conjunction with other topical medications, such as benzoyl peroxide.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• CONTD: Benefits include increased stability when applied in conjunction with other topical medications, such as benzoyl peroxide. Adapalene is a moderator of cellular differentiation, keratinization, and inflammatory processes, having both exfoliating and anti-inflammatory effects.

An alternative is the prescription medication Triamcinolone. Most commonly sold under the trade name Aristocort, Triamcinolone is a synthetic corticosteroid, compounded as a cream, which has been medically approved as an anti-inflammatory agent in the treatment of eczema. As the action responsible for alleviating eczema symptoms is, as with retinoid creams, the reduction amount of keratin in pores, the effect of Triamcinolone on KP is expected to be similar.

As with Triamcinolone, Tretinoin or any other treatment, once therapy is discontinued, the condition reverts to its original state.

CONTD
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The condition is often dismissed outright by practitioners as being presently untreatable,[citation needed] giving mere moisturizing suggestions or reassurance that the condition will improve or cease with age, typically after 30. Ignorance, accompanied with the price, availability, quantity dispensed, time taken for optimal results to be achieved, more serious side-effects, adverse reactions, and worsening of the condition in the initial treatment phase - coupled with the cheaper, safer, and easier availability of other treatments - has hindered Tretinoin from showing its potential in the treatment of this condition.

Thats about all I can tell you. Good luck. I know with my boys I just keep them as mosturized as I can.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It's called Keratosis Pilaris, as mentioned above. I have it, have since I was a kid.

There's a product by Derma Doctor called KP, you can find it on the Sephora.com website.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 3:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2010