At what point is a crib too old to be passed on to someone else?

I have two cribs that I need to get rid of. I don't find either listed on any recall list, but they are both about 13 years old. I bought one of them before my oldest daughter was born, and it was used for her and stored until it was used for one of my twins. The other crib was purchased by my mom and used a very few times for visiting grandchildren and then for one of my twins. They don't look old and aren't worn out, but are they too old for someone else to use for their baby? I don't know if I should give them to someone or destroy them. I really hate to see them go to waste, but I don't want to put anyone else's baby at risk either. What do you think? Are they too old to be safe for use?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Shopping

• there should be an expiry date stamped on the bottom - my storkcraft crib did.

but them I'm also in Canada - we have different regulations up here.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• craigslist them
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Technically not after two years. However, there are a lot of families who can't afford cribs that could use them. Look into donating them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• can you give them away? my grandma still has a crib from when all of us were little. and now my son and my cousins have slept in while at her house. if it's sturdy and nothing in the way for the baby to hurt themselves then it should be alright.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I bought a used crib that was 10 years old. I love it. And if it's still in good condition after we're finished, I'll sell it. It meets all the saftey requirements and hasn't been recalled, so I don'tsee the problem. So same should go for you.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I will most likely give them away, but I want to make sure they are safe before I do that. I don't want to give anything dangerous to someone else. Both cribs have drop-down sides, and I understand that is the cause of most of the recent recalls. I'll do a little more research before I decide what to do with them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Thanks hypermamaz. I don't remember seeing dates, but I'll look again.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010