Help, 5 year old still sucks thumb!

I have tried everything to break my 5 year old of sucking his thumb from rewards to bribes. He is getting older and now in school. How can I stop it?

indigo645

Asked by indigo645 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 3 (-18 Credits)
  • idk. i had a friend who was like 11 years old and was still sucking her thumb (but only at night) she wanted to stop because she hated being teased, but it was almost impossible to prevent it when she was sleeping. So her parents put some kind of sauce (might have been hot sauce or might've been something else) to try to help her out, but it didn't work.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The dentist can put a device called a rake in their mouths...no way to suck a thumb with it in.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I sucked my thumb till I got braces at 14 only at night though and what stopped me was a thumb guard put in by the ortho. my parents and I tried everything nothing worked before that.
    Anonymous

• I got my son "chewlery." It is a necklace that is safe to chew on. I bought it for him because he was putting his hands/fingers in his mouth a lot. There is a round one in addition to the heart ones; I would get the longer lanyard.

http://www.chewelry.ca/termsconditions.html

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 7:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I say let it go. Peer pressure will get to him eventually or he will just stop on his own.
    Anonymous