States exempt??

Earlier on in the HC debate, I had heard about some of the states making themselves 'exempt' from the new HC law & the requirement to purchase private insurance.

If so, which states / common wealths are these?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• CALIFORNIA has had a change of heart too!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• There are a few states that have already passed bills, and some states putting them to a vote. I don't know if they will be upheld, but the states are trying. I'd like to know the states too so I can move there.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Florida, Oklahoma and Kansas for sure. A lot of states are still in the process of drafting the challenges and changes, so might be easier if you have a specific state in mind to search for that state's name and "health care exemption" to see what comes up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I believe VA has too.

The TN GOP is trying for TN as well
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• What about Pennsylvania?
    Anonymous

• I heard there were about 37 or so states that would be considering legislation of this sort. Hmmm, says a lot about how popular this thing REALLY is, doesn't it? Considering it only takes 34 states to amend the Constitution......
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The last count I heard was 36 states were considering at least one form of legislation exempting their citizens from this mess.

PA is on the list, and so is SC.

http://www.ncsl.org/?tabid=18906
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My state of Michigan's Attorney General has filed suit saying that bill is unconstitutional.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• VA filed suit as soon as Obama signed the bill. WI wants to but their A.G. said that he has not been given clearance to do so and probably will not be granted it at all.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 4:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2010