Where does it say in the bible...

You should not curse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was told once by a priest that cursing in itself isn't bad, just in poor taste. When you swear and use the Lord's name in vain, then it's a sin. Mainly because on of the commandments is that we shall not use the Lord's name in vain.
    Anonymous

• LOL, it doesn't. You can curse all you want. It's just not a nice thing to do.
    Anonymous

• Colossians 3:8--
    "But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• To me people curse because it's easy and a lazy way to make a point. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with it unless it's used in a threatening, hateful, or derogatory way. However cursing is really over used. I choose not to curse, if I've got something to say I just say it.  Sometimes it feels like cursing is used as a crutch because it's an easy way to fit into a crowd. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• All the bible says about it is these to things...
    1 Not to say hurtful angerfilled things. For ex. Don't go around saying she is this, she is that.
    2 Not to use the lords name in vein. This word be the G.. D... Saying, or any other bad thing in front of god. In a sense not to curse god.

It says nothing however about saying S*** when you stub your toe. Or F*** if you break a bone.

Hope this helps.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• This one came to mind - Colossians 4:6

Let your speech be alway with grace,
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:22, you could also take that to mean to not stutter or stumble over your speech, just like grace would apply to the body.

"2 Not to use the lords name in vein." So we're shooting up with God now? Vain, not vein.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I look at it this way, James tells us: “Out of the same mouth come forth blessing and cursing. It is not proper, my brothers, for these things to go on occurring this way. A fountain does not cause the sweet and the bitter to bubble out of the same opening, does it?” (James 3:10, 11) and Paul wrote: “Let a rotten saying not proceed out of your mouth, but whatever saying is good for building up as the need may be, that it may impart what is favorable to the hearers.” (Ephesians 4:29)
    So, as a Christian I ask myself, is it good to have two vocabularies, one for use among Christians, the other for use elsewhere?

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• "2 Not to use the lords name in vein." So we're shooting up with God now? Vain, not vein.

Oops sorry I miss spelt that. Thanks for the correction.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• James 3:9-10 :With the tongue we praise our L-rd [master] our Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in [Yahweh's] G-d's likeness. Out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing. My brothers this should not be."
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2010