Boxing

I need some advice, my son is in boxing, he has been so for about 4 years now. He dovets most of his hours to it, its his passion, which is good gives him something to do keeps him out of trouble and shows him the value of hard work, my DH was also a boxer when he was younger, and so was his dad back in Italy and so on down the family line. My DH says its in your blood, the point is my son is getting really good and as a mom im concerned this is a sport that consists of punching you in the head over and over again. I know its just amerture at this point but my son is going to the finals of the Golden Gloves a very important tournament in NY, at 16 in the open division that is very impressive, DS & DH talk about taking it to the next level, which concerns me I saw an HBO special about concusions it was shocking, I am deeply concerned about my sons future well being, am I being paranoid or is this reasonable?

deannaLINY

Asked by deannaLINY at 6:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Health

• Wow. Congrats to your son for sticking with it. Why don't you discuss your concerns with your son's doctor? My son has a friend who has been boxing since middle school, and is now 19. He is doing very well in his weight/'age bracket also. I am afraid to go and watch one of his matches, but he keeps getting written up in the newspaper. ((((((hugs)))))) to you.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2010