Vaccinations

For those of you who said they would follow an alternate vaccination schedule ... Is there any vaccination you would NOT get and why ... ? Just trying to do the right thing. And get tons of info before I make a decision . My sil doesn't do hep because hep is transmitted sexually and says her daughter Is only 4 and doesn't need it !

abbyg

Asked by abbyg at 6:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• you can get hep elsewhere. my dd has all her vaccinations. id rather her get them and be sure she wont get polio or meesels or something horrible like that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would say check the Anti-Vac groups rather than ask here. These types of questions just get a bunch of bashing... But I know the Choosing not to Vaccinate group has a good bit of alternative vaccing moms!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I like The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child (Sears Parenting Library) by Robert Sears MD. He gives a delayed schudle and a delayed selective one. We skipped the vit K, hep b, flu, and HPV. And the MMR we put off till age 4 or older
    Anonymous

• My cousins 14 month old just got hepatitis. The doctor said it was most likely they got it from a swimming pool because kids pee in pools. I would definitely get it!

Anonymous

• Hep B can be trasmitted via food. You could catch it from a waiter at a restaurant. Your SIL is wrong.

I follow my pediatrician's recommended vax schedule. He says that vax are safe if you stick to the schedule, but if you put them off and get a bunch at once (for example if the school makes your kid catch up to the vax schedule when they start school) then they can have bad side effects.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I think Hep A is transmitted in food and Hep B is transmitted by blood and body fluid. If you are not sexually active, you can get Hep B from a carrier whose blood comes in contact with you from a cut or a bloody nose or something.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• http://www.hepb.org/hepb/transmission.htm
    Hep B is transmitted through blood and infected bodily fluids. This can occur through:

direct blood-to-blood contact
    unprotected sex
    unsterile needles
    from an infected woman to her newborn during the delivery process.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Other possible routes of infection include sharing sharp instruments such as razors, toothbrushes or earrings. Body piercing, tattooing and acupuncture are also possible routes of infection unless sterile needles are used
    Hepatitis B is NOT transmitted casually. It cannot be spread through sneezing, coughing, hugging or eating food prepared by someone who is infected with hepatitis B. Everyone is at some risk for a hepatitis B infection, but some groups are at higher risk because of their occupation or life choices.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Hepatitis A, is an acute infectious disease of the liver caused by Hepatitis A virus,which is most commonly transmitted by the fecal-oral route via contaminated food or drinking water. Every year, approximately 10 million people worldwide are infected with the virus.The time between infection and the appearance of the symptoms, (the incubation period), is between two and six weeks and the average incubation period is 28 days.
    In developing countries, and in regions with poor hygiene standards, the incidence of infection with this virus approaches 100% and the illness is usually contracted in early childhood. Hepatitis A infection causes no clinical signs and symptoms in over 90% of these children and since the infection confers lifelong immunity, the disease is of no special significance to the indigenous population.
    happytexasCM