Why do those on Food Stamps or PA get bashed?

I have seen so many moms bash those on Food Stamps or any kind of public assistance. Why is that? Yeah, there are TONS of people who do abuse the system & are lazy and REFUSE to work & keep having kids just so they can stay on it. What about those who actually need it b/c times are hard? How can yall sit there and bash w/o really knowing the situation?

We are on food stamps, Im not proud of it, but we are. My husband was laid off in October of last year. He has looked for & applied for several jobs, but hasn't had any luck. He does find ways to earn money; laying floors, doing showers, remodel jobs, building or fixing, hanging drywall, etc. He gets $228 a wk from unemployment, we get a $145 a month from food stamps, & my oldest gets $674 from SSI. Even w/ what he does & all this we are BARELY making it. We live w/i our means, don't go out or spurge on anything.

I don't want to start drama; Im truely curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Because people is selfish, they would probably prefer to throw their tax-money from the window rather than help a family in need. We don't get any PA (we get a good pay) but me and my husband are happy to pay our taxes knowing that it will help somebody too. The basher are probably lucky people which always have had a good life with no problem, they should just remember that the "wheel" could turn and they could be the one in need. I don't think you should be ashame, you guys are doing your best.
    I think every civil state should do something when there is a family that can barely eat, we're talking about basic civil rights!
    It really make me sick when I read that people with economic problems shouldn't have babies, somebody think that just rich people can reproduce...and of course those words come from moms, I wonder what are they teaching to their kids, surely nothing about compassion.
    I wish your family the best
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 11:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• idc as long as people that are on it understand that its not a right to have it, or think its ok to abuse the system.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I agree, Busy, there are so many who abuse it & make it harder for honest, descent, hardworking people who just need some help to get it. I have a friend who was a single mom of 3 making $13hr & she can't get food stamps b/c she makes too much. She ended up losing her home & everything she had. She had to let 2 of her DDs go live w/ their dad and now she only sees them on the wknds. Now she is living w/ her bf & is wanting out, but is stuck b/c she can't afford to live on her own & doesnt qualify for ANY kind of assistance.
    Anonymous

• In nutshell - because people like us are paying for other peoples incompetence. Honestly, it's not my problem if you or your husband can't find employment or can't find gainful employment and I don't want to pay for it. PA and food stamps should only exist for those with disabilities. JMO
    Anonymous

• my sil is on food stamps, wic, hud, and child support. she tells everyone she doesnt have to work because she has a baby. the dad is not in the pic but pays child support. she does not make any attempt to work or provide anything herself. it's people like her that should get bashed. that is called taking advantage. everyone in the family knows it's wrong but is too afraid to say anything to her. even her parents! my dh called her out on it and all she said was well if baby daddy would pay me more i could afford a better life.
    Anonymous

• Well, MISS NUTSHELL, you're right, its not your problem. However, we pay taxes just like everyone else. We've been together for 10yrs & this is the 1st time we've ever needed help. I don't expect you to understand, b/c obviously you've never been there. I honestly hope you never are.
    Anonymous

• I don't think anyone would bash you for your situation. Atleast your husband was working and is still trying to find employment. The frustration comes from the ones who make their lifestyle living off the system. Nobody ever knows what tomorrow will bring and if one needs help then sure they should get it. In these times it seems more people are needing help, and having ones who abuse it will eventually only hurt the ones who will need it.
    Anonymous

• Because I have to pay for my kids I shouldn't have to pay for other peoples too
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 8:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• And there are no exceptions to those rules? You'd rather children starve or die due to lack of medical treatment then help those who HONESTLY need it. That's heartless & cruel.
    Anonymous

• I think part of it is jealousy, because the basher WANTED to get PA, applied, and was denied, or because they are plain bitter. There are a lot of things I don't like or don't agree with, but I don't waste my time trashing others who don't agree with me, or who do think differently than me.

Taxes go towards more than public assistance. Do you waste your time bashing the other programs/people your tax money go towards? No, didn't think so. You waste your time slamming people on a website, because you know you can keep your anonymity. In real life, you'd get knocked on your @ss!!

What about the disabled? The elderly? Oh that's right-they're just LAZY. Why should you care about anyone other than yourself?

Bashers-get a life. Better yet, find out you can make the world a better place, rather than bringing others down.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2010