How should I handle it?

We will be adding alot of "new" things in our lives soon. Example in the month we'll be adding a new baby & a new house. My son will be 17 months when we do all this. When we move I want to convert him to the toddler bed but if I do that do you think it will "affect" him. Like thats alot of change to deal with. So I'm wondering if I should keep him in his crib for comfort until he's really use to the new house & the new baby? What do you ladies think. I don't need the crib we have another.

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would wait. My son was 15 months when we had our second. To soften the blow of a new baby and a new room I moved him to his new room/crib about 2 months before baby came. This way he could get used to the change and not associate it with the new baby. If I were you I would try to set up his new room in your new home to be as close to his old room as possible. This will give him confort and make the transition easier. Plus (this is my position) doesn't it terrify you to have your little one able to roam freely while you are sleeping lol It scares the poo out of me lol I am keeping his butt in his crib till he can climb himself out lol
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 11:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• i would wait. too much change can really traumatize a kid that age. if he is potty trained, he will most likely revert. i have seen it happen a few times. wait for about a month or so, then switch him to a toddler bed.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would wait. That's a lot of change for a little one.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I agree, keep him in the crib for a while longer.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• You could let him pick out his new bed for his new room.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would take him shopping for toddler beds and let him pick one. If he picks one he likes it might help with all the change that he got a special new bed that he wanted.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would wait... That's alot for a toddler to handle, new sibling, new house AND a new bed? I would personally wait because that may be the only thing that he is accustomed to and makes him feel safe and comforted or else you may have night time trouble and with a newborn... Not a good idea. Just my opinion though. And, my experience, they realize they can get out of bed and they do and you willl need all the sleep you can get mama. Plus you are gonna be exhausted enough just from the move and throw a newborn on top of that.. I would think twice about it.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would wait too. IMO its a little young to be in a toddler bed regardless of the changes going on. You may want the ability to confine him to the crib if he fights his nap time knowing that you are off holding the baby.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'm gonna keep him in the crib & once that baby is out of our room (baby will sleep in a bassinet) I will move him to a toddler bed! Thanks for the advice!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010