IF you wear contacts how much do you pay?

I would like to get contacts and would like to know what you normally pay yearly. SO if you have any info that would be lovely.

Claudiomom

Asked by Claudiomom at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Health

• I pay 1899 for 3 pairs at Walmart
    lovie04256

Answer by lovie04256 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• $130 for 8 boxes (4 boxes of 6 contacts for each eye) per. I used the 2-week disposables, but I often use them for 3-4 weeks, to save money. I've been doing that for years, and I'm never had a problem.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The cost really depends on 1) which type of contact you get. 2) how often you change them, and 3) where you buy them.

That being said, I wore soft contact lenses for about 7 years. They cost $300-$400 per year. Don't forget that the contact lens exam is generally not covered by insurance and runs about $100 or more, depending on the doctor. It is different than an exam for glasses. There are also storage cases, cleaning solution, and special eye drops to buy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Um, I think I have to pay about $70 out of pocket, after insurance, for the eye exam. Then my insurance provides me with - ugh, trying to remember here - I think 1 or 2 boxes. I use Acuvue Oasys, so it's a little pricier but I have very dry eyes so totally worth it. After that, I buy 8 boxes myself, because if you buy 8 (a year's supply) you get a $100 rebate. I think I pay about $200-$250 for the year's supply, but I get $100 back. Overall, I don't think it's too expensive, but you definitely want to get a year's supply at a time for the rebates and discounts.

I always change them exactly every 2 weeks. They get so uncomfortable otherwise. I used to stretch it out, but my eyes are too dry for that now.
    Anonymous

• I pay 26.00 for one box and luckly I have the same vision in both eyes so I only need one box. They wanted me to get the contacts for a stigmatism but they wanted like 50.00 a box! Thats crazy when Im souppose to throw them out like every two to three weeks. I believe there cheaper if you but them yearly more at one time. I wear Acavue Oasis.
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I used to wear Acuvue Oasys lenses, but the solutions for me were really expensive because I had to order stuff in. All of the usual stuff would burn my eyes, and I had to replace my lenses every couple of weeks instead of every 4-6 weeks. When my prescription changed and I was going to have to switch to special lenses, I got LASIK done. It was $3300 two years ago and I figure it will have paid for itself before too long.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Nothing. I have REALLY GREAT insurance and all I have to pay for is my eyes to be examined and that's it. I get 8 boxes of contacts which lasts me until just about forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I just got new ones so here is my response.

My insurance will cover $150 a year.

I need 4 boxes a year (changing contacts once a month). This cost $164.

So I paid $14.

(On the years I need glasses, they will only cover those and not contacts. So then, I'd be paying the full $164. I hate either or!)
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 5:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I paid a lot for mine. I have RGP contacts. I had to pay for the right and left one separately. They were 75 a piece. They are meant to last an entire year unless you lose one.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 8:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010