Can they really take legal action?

Ok, so the last place I lived was owned my the school. Long story short, I had to pay for the gas bill when I lived there and it was in their name-no problem. I think in all it was like $26. Now that I've moved, I told the gas company to send them to final bill and the second to last bill even though I lived there during that time. My part is being paid for when I lived there. I just checked my email from that school and the girl said if it's not paid by some date that they're taking legal action. They should have to pay their part when I didn't live there even if it was left in my name (another thing I thought they were going to take care of). Regardless of whether it was in my name or not, I didn't live there and didn't use any gas-they did. As far as I know no one lives there now so it was them. Also, I still have yet to receive my deposit back from them.

Any ideas?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oh and I'm not really concerned too much about the "legal" action. All together the bills were about $100. I really don't see someone getting a lawyer or anything for that. But it sucks cause I was going to take summer classes at this school but I'm not going to if it's going to be a battle in the business office.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If they haven't given your deposit back, tell them to pay the bill out of there. Easy peasy.
    Anonymous

• I thought about that but 1-I don't trust them to take care of it. 2-I think they might say that I cause damage which I did not. All damage that is there was there when I moved in and I even had maintenance come look at it when I first moved in to make sure I wouldn't be blamed for it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• $100.00 legal action would cost them 3x that amount I wouldn't worry about the bill I would be letting them know that you will take legal action for you deposit they owe you. Taking classes there or not they owe you money fair and square.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't matter WHO USED the gas. If it is in YOUR name, you are legally obligated to pay for the use.

If it was a security deposit....you may or may not get it back. They can deem the property to dirty (doesn't matter if it was sparkling clean when you left, it is all their word) to give back the deposit. As for damage, if maintenance didn't note it, and you didn't note it in your pre-lease walk-thru, it will be on you - the last renter.

Best of luck, but personally, I'd just pay so it didn't end up on any credit reports.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I thought the same thing as well....If is in your name you are liable.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Than why did I have to pay them when it was in their name??

And there was no pre-lease walk through or anything like that...these people had no business running an apartment. I have witness' to the damage that was not mine.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If it's not in writing, there's nothing you can do. Take this as a lesson learned and the next time you move into an apartment get all the damage in writing in the lease beforehand. I agree with the two ladies that say that since it's in your name, you are responsible to pay the bill. I'd pay it to keep my good credit.
    Honestly when we lived in apartments we never expected to get the security deposit back. I never trust them not to nit pick until they keep it all. If we do get it back, Yay!, but I never expect it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I didn't expect if back but was told repeatedly that I would get it back. I couldn't care less about that $100 security deposit. However, if I had to pay them for the gas that was in their name, they should do the same.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Go to the gas company or call them in person, and take care of it yourself. Have them take it out of your deposit (that's usually what the deposit is used for, the last bill). Since it was in your name, technically you're bound to be responsible for it. For future reference, when you move you should get all utilities cut off so no one can run up a bill for you. And yes they can take you to small claims court over $100, and the court fees will most likely be more than the $100 they are wanting from you. Sorry :(
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:29 AM on Mar. 28, 2010