How can I get my kids to listen?

My kids are 3 and 5. me and my husband have tried everything we can think of and nothing seems to work. can somebody please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• set some rules & write them out putting them where they can be seen.. be consistent in your rules & consequences .. a warning then if the behavior continues a time out 5 min for the 5 yr. old 3 min for the 3 yr. old. also pick your battles don't set too many rules keep it simple hands are for hugging not hurting, clean up after self, use nice words etc. don't say no too much maybe or next time works too. give rewards for when they are good, each day they are mostly good give them a star on a chart 14 stars they get a treat. If all other discipline has been used warning, time out, redirection, rewarding good behavior & the kids are still misbehaving give them one or two taps on their bottoms. Also let them know you love them, but not the behavior after you discipline them.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Please give an example so we can help

Answer by admckenzie at 10:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If you haven't already, you might try making them look at you when you talk to them, you know, talk to them face to face, and if you are giving them instruction, have them repeat what it is you want from them. If they are actually looking at you and you at them when you talk to them, then you tend to have their full attention.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Are you consistent w/ the rules? Do you get up and handle a problem exactly when it is happening everytime? Sometimes when we are tired or not feeling good we tend to let the rules slide because we are exhausted and that makes things worse. You have tohave the same rules all the time and train them consistently all the time.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would kneel to their level and hold a finger over my mouth for their silence, then I motion from my eyes to their eyes for attention. This usually makes this stop on a dime. I'd say what I wanted to say and then ask them to repeat it. For immediate attention, I usually clap my hands, or preferably snap my fingers, and stop my feet for their immediate attention.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I usually kneel to my sons level and speak clearly, but quietly, that way he has to stop what he is doing to hear me and then I ask him to repeat what mommy has said. It is not easy and it took a couple times to get his attention but it is working. He turned 4 a week ago and he is very rambunkcous(spelled wrong) so maintaining his attention this way kind of snaps him to.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 10:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I forgot if they get out of time out it starts over, this will let them knoe you are following through with it. My 7 yr old was in time out half the day because she keep coming out & I just keep putting her back in so she would know I was serious. it is not allways going to be easy, but just let them know when you say something you mean it. this site should help-
    http://life.familyeducation.com/discipline/parenting/29450.html
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• if you find out let me know, i've tried everything with my 2 yr old and she still doesnt listen
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2010