Do you homeschool? From what grade did you start your children and what grade are they in now?

Do homeschoolers get a Jr High diploma and/or High School Diploma?

Is the High School Diploma accepted by colleges?

If I decide to have my child return to High School the Sr year will there be problems coming from homeschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Some homeschool organizations give you a diploma. Some kids go take the GED test.

You have to make your own transcripts for college. And yes colleges accept them.

If you are out of public school and then go back you may have to take a test to find the appropriate grade level.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• We are planning on homeschooling, I do not know if we will all through high school but if we do they will get a diploma from PA homeschoolers. We will be evaluated by them every year, which our records will be the transcripts. Every state is different. My roommate in college was homeschooled and her mom just made her diploma on their computer. As pp said if they go to school after being homeschooled they will take a test to find the right grade for them. That is usually done when students transfer in from any school.
    Anonymous

• My kids (13 and 5) have never gone to school of any kind. Whether or not they get a diploma depends on where you live. In my state, the parents have the right to issue diplomas and write transcripts. In some states where the laws are more strict, you may have to go through an umbrella school. And yes, the homeschool diplomas, transcripts, and portfolios are accepted by colleges. Whether they will have problems returning depends on your state laws and your school district. If you know you are planning on having your kids return to public school at some point, you will want to stay in contact with the school to make sure that you are teaching to their standards and meeting their requirements. Your child will still have to take placement tests upon their return though.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I homeschooled my sons. My oldest was homeschooled from the 2nd grade through the 8th grade, was tested before he started high school & was placed in the 10th grade instead of the 9th. He started the 10th grade a week before he turned 15 (& turned 16 in the 11th grade and 17 10 days after he started the 12th grade). That part was hard on him, being so much younger than everyone. Acdemically he did great but most of his classmates turned 16 or 17 in the 10th grade which was hard for him to fit in with). My 2nd son was homeschooled from 1st-8th and started school as a9th grader. We decided 9th grade was too late to start and the younger 2 who never went to school before we started homeschooling (born 1991 & 1990, we started hs'ing in 1995) started school as 7th graders when they were 14 and almost 13. I wouldn't wait until their senior year. They'd miss too much and it's not fair.
    Anonymous

• I homeschool. I started this past year, 2nd and 4th grade. Some states offer homeschoolers a high school diploma, it just depends on where you live. You need to find out the homeschooling laws for your state. Check out the Homeschooling Legal Defense Association website. www.hslda.org
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010