how do you feel about other family members or parents physically disciplining your kids?

I just don't understand why some people do that. JMO! First time I heard my mil threaten one of her grandsons for being naughty followed by a loud slap on the butt and crying not just from embarrasment but pain (left a mark), I just couldnt believe it. I would disown her from my sons life if she ever did that to my son. I have seen this with friends too. an ex friend who babysat for a mutual friend punished and spanked the friend's daughters all the time. the oldest girl once told me she was terrified of her but her mom just yelled at her for expressing those feelings. Just terrible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would be extremely upset if anyone physically disciplined my child. It's not their place.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I have no problem whatsoever with my family members disciplining my kids. If I didn't like it, they wouldn't be keeping them. Also since water tends to seek its' own level, I have no problem with my friends (associates don't have this right and there's a difference) disciplining my children. Or they with me. Communication is the key. I pick my friends like I pick my fruit carefully. We tend to agree on core issues: It takes a village to raise a child.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• If it is somebody my child sees on a regular basis, I dont have a problem with it. I see my friend at least once or twice a week... we watch each others kids and hang out... Im okay with her disciplining my child. However, if it were one of mine or DH's family members, whom we only see about once every 1 or 2 years, I would not be okay with that.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with it. Everyone who brings their children to me to babysit know the rules. If I can't punish how I see fit, I don't babysit. Some goes for people who babysit for me. If I can't punish your kid you better stay right on them cause if they do something that warrants punishment you better get to them before I do.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• So is it okay for your kid to be a total terror and brake things and throw awful fits? should his Grandma say he is no longer part of the family?
    Anonymous

• so all of you would be fine if mil hit your kid with a belt for refusing to put a toy away?
    Anonymous

• belt? you never said belt.WTH!
    Anonymous

• No I am totally against anyone spanking my child unless it is my husband or myself. It must be that their heart is directly inked back to the parent. If other people are spanking them then they have the fear and respect of them and not you.

If your child acts up with you MIL or anyone tell them to tell the child when mommy or daddy get back I will let them know the way you treated me and put it back on the parent.

Also too I dont mind other people putting my son in timeout or like losing toys consequence but oooo no spanking except from me and then hubby
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I would consider that abuse ... with the belt from another person not you or your husband... And I believe in Spare the Rod spoil the Child
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 11:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• For me it depends on the family member. My sister only spanks my kids if they are doing something very wrong but my brother seems to think that no matter what they do they need to be spanked. I don't spank my kids all the time and only for certain things so I don't care about my sister doing it but my brother I do have a problem with. I have told him not to touch my kids.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010