So if Catholics were the first Christians Why don't we all do things like them? This is no bash I am truly curious.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you were to split all the hairs and examine all the doctrines of all the denominations that sprang from the original Church, you would find that approximately 95-98 % of their beliefs are the same; it's that 2-5 % difference that is all you hear about. Sorry I can't give you exact stats and source; DH knows but isn't here now. Quick clarification of "catholic": Main Entry: Cath·o·lic Pronunciation: \ˈkath-lik, ˈka-thÉ™-\ Function: noun Date: 15th century 1 : a person who belongs to the universal Christian church Got that on Webster's online. There are more definitions on the site specific to the later classification of Catholic Church vs other churches.  Catholic really means "universal church" (to paraphrase), it was later used as an identifying tool when other church sects popped up and had different beliefs; in essence rendering Catholics to be the "first Christians".  CONT

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Martin Luther
    Anonymous

• maybe this chart will help

Anonymous

• Nope sorry makes no sense its to small maybe
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• The church of Rome would be Peter and such I think Constantinople would be the Eastern Church. "Roman" Catholic was made up later as a slang or an insult to the Catholic Church.

The above chart does has weakness like that. My point in posting is trying to point out that the church started and then it split and split again. Like my grandmother was the first American in our family and over the generations we do things differently than she did. But the fact that many married, changed names and locations she is still the first American in our family.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• OK try that chart and you will notice the straight line that does not branch off is the Western Catholic church.
    Anonymous

• oh and here is the link if it is too small

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/ChristianityBranches.svg/600px-ChristianityBranches.svg.png
    Anonymous

• However Catholics were around first so I think your graph is off
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It isn't my graph, but I do think it shows Catholics were around first, but the name "Catholic" did not get used until the Eastern/Western split. That would be why it goes from Early Christians to Catholic. But the straight line is the Catholic Church the Eastern Orthodox Church branched off while the early Christian Church took on the name Catholic or universal.

It is worth noting not all Eastern Chruches were part of the split

Anonymous