DO i have to!!, I need some opinions

My ex and his family don't really partake in my son's life well i let them call him when they want and the same goes for him, Well recently they all been wanting on my face book and my space, I feel like they are invading my private life by that access they also keep tagging my pics of my son so it is on there profiles if they ask for pics that is another story but they don't even call to talk to my son so they know nothing of him. DO i have to let them into MY life i mean i give them a window of opportunity and they never take it so...Please give me some opinions or what would you do..

Mom4life1015

Asked by Mom4life1015 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• What does "tagging" mean?
    Anonymous

• You can add them to facebook but set them to be on your limited profile. Adjust your privacy settings so that only the bare minimum is shown to those on your limited profile.
    That's what I do with family that I don't want seeing photos from my nights out with friends or photos I'm tagged in etc...
    I have them so they can see pictures of my kids because we live so far apart and so we can occasionally leave a comment here and there on our walls.

You can control who sees what on facebook.
    Don't bother adding them to myspace. Facebook should be enough.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• It is when they click on the picture it marks it so it goes to there profile and shows on there pictures as one of there's I think lol
    Mom4life1015

Answer by Mom4life1015 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Also, you can untag anything they tag.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• They have the right to decide when and for how long they want to be in your child's life. As long as you develop this attitude, your child won't hate you later in life mistakenly believing you blocked their relatives efforts. Personally, I go out of my way to keep the doors open, whether they like me or not, for my child's sake. My kids relatives, whether seen or unseen, have never had to steal pictures of my kids from me. I freely send them pictures on a regular basis. I've done this consistently over 26 years (the age of my oldest). It's taken this long for them to acknowledge that they were wrong and commend me on doing the right thing for the right reason. Blood ties are one thing, and I'm a member by default. I can't say honestly that it's always been easy to get past my emotionalism or hurt feelings. However, I also didn't want to give my child a mixed message about family. In the long run, it's been worth it!

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• No, you don't have to. I allow my older son's family into in myspace and facebook world. NOT my younger son's family. They are not very good people and I just don't want to.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Create a second Facebook page just to post photos of your son.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• you don't have to do anything. If you put pictures up on the internet, it is no longer private. Anything you post online is not part of your private life.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers, I have made the decision to just lock my photo's of my son's and my private life, to only whom i want. I just didn't feel comfortable with her doing that as when she would tag my son's photo's they then are on her profile for who ever to view and i just didn't want that as all my kids are all minor's. Again much appreciated for all your answer's
    Mom4life1015

Answer by Mom4life1015 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2010