Should I cut out soda or eating out first?

I can only do one at a time or I will fail at both. I do both way too much. So which would have the bigger impact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Do you eat out often?
    How much soda do you drink?

I would cut out soda first or at least switch to diet and then cut back how often you go to eat out.
    The soda alone will show some pretty quick results for you though.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Soda first. You'll be amazed at the weight you lose when you cut out soda. Seriously. Soda should always be the first to go.
    Anonymous

• NO!! DON'T DRINK DIET!!!! It just takes the place of the extra water you could be drinking to help clear your system.
    Anonymous

• If she's worried about going cold turkey on things because she thinks she'll fail if she does then switching to diet soda before cutting it out all together is not an unreasonable suggestion.
    Clearly no soda is the best solution but weight loss is a process and it's different for everyone.

Personally if I try to instantly change my eating habits or jump into a diet, I go strong for a while and then I fall off the wagon and gorge myself on everything I've felt deprived of.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I say eating out. :) Look up how much fat, calories and carbs are in your favorite meals at your fav restaurants. It is shocking.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 11:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• 1. Dont switch to diet. not good!
    2. When you eat our you are tempted to drink soda. Drive throughs- If you order a hamburger+Fries (a combo) to buy water "is to waist money".
    3. How much do you eat out? how many sodas do you drink. Its important. Which ever you do more- cut back on it.
    4. What about switching to UNsweet tea. No calories. a lil flavor. That is what we have done. I mostly drink water during the day, then drink tea/milk with my meals and maybe about once a week i will have a sprite.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I used to drink at least 6 cans of diet soda EVERY day. I had gastric bypass so now I am not to drink any carbonated drinks although I will drink one from time to time. Any type of carbonated drink will stretch your stomach. Also carbonation is bad for your bones. I quit cold turkey on the soda but problem is when you quit an addiction many times you will develop transition addiction. This means you will find a new addiction lol. Anyways I would say start with cutting soda out and adding more water. You can get sugar free water flavor packets which makes drinking water more enjoyable.
    Jennteel

Answer by Jennteel at 11:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Both: if you are going to do it, do it right. Yahweh bless
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Diet soda is NOT a good option because the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas are horrible for you. They are worse for you than regular sugar. Also, because artificial sweeteners taste sweeter than regular sugar, it has been proven that drinking diet sodas can increase your cravings for sweets.

A better option would be to wean yourself off sodas because if you drink more than one a day you probably have a caffeine addiction. Go to one soda a day for a week, then one soda every other day for a week, then two sodas a week for a week, finally down to one soda a week for one week, then none. I quit cold turkey and it was hard. Once I broke the addiction, I was able to start enjoying a soda only when we went out somewhere and not have to have one (or more) daily.

As far as going out to eat, make healthier choices. Grilled chicken with steamed or grilled veggies, salads (with lean proteins, no cheese or croutons and CONT..
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• dressing on the side) is a good option. Grilled fish with no added sauces, lean grilled steaks, plain baked potatoes or sweet potatoes are all great options when eating out. Don't be afraid to specifically tell the waiter you are going for lowfat so no additional butters, sauces, etc, and I guarantee you if its a decent restaurant the chef will go out of his way to make you a healthy meal that still tastes awesome. The best meal I've had when we went out to eat was a piece of grilled halibut with a lemon wedge, some mashed potatoes (the yukon gold potatoes I think it was) with no butter or salt, and fresh perfectly steamed brocolli. You can get healthy options at restaurants (but not fast food) so you don't have to cut that out. I would however wean off the sodas, that will help you lose weight very quickly. Good luck!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2010