Severe eczema

My DS has severe eczema and has since he was born. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun such as: Steroid creams, Vasaline, Lotions (non frangrance), and so many more. NOTHING HELPS. I took him to the dermotologist last Tuesday and they did absolutely nothing for him. They told me he had eczema.. Hmm REALLY?! I did not know that although we have been fighting it for the past five months!! I have got to find something to ease his itching and burning of his skin. Benedryl isn't even helping anymore. It breaks my heart that I have been trying to get doctors to do something since he was born and I have yet to see any change. They have told us to give him a bleach bath for atleast 10 minutes. What if he has open scratches? It's going to burn him. The water irritates his skin as it is. We have also switched laundry detergent to dreft and when he gets a bath we use aveeno baby wash (dye and fragrance free.) Any advice ladies? :)

Jacki88

Asked by Jacki88 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-2 Credits)
  • try that utter cream. Also look on natural web sights for bath salt and stuff. I can't remember which web site...but I know that the reviews for something in the bath, like oat meal bath stuff was all raves. I'll try to think where and get back to you.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would not use bleach. All of my kids have eczema and keratosis pilaris (similar to eczema). I can not use regular soaps or shampoos for them. I suggest you switch laundry detergents, stop using fabric softeners or dryer sheets, and change his soap and shampoo to a natural brand. What has worked for us (because the creams and lotions DID NOT WORK FOR US) is All Free & Clear laundry detergent (put a cup of vinegar in the wash at the rinse cycle to act as a mild fabric softener..it works!), and use California Baby products. They are sold at Target. Its the only soaps my DD can use, and the ONLY sunscreen she can use without breaking out everywhere. They are more expensive, but it's been well worth it for us.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• maybe you can try the products that are made for psoriasis/eczema etc? They are at Walmart next to anti-itch creams and stuff. I can't remember the name; they have witch hazel in them. I would not do bleach- my mother has contact dermatitis which is set off and severely irritated by bleach and anything with high amounts of chlorine in it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• California Baby products are marketed towards kids who suffer from eczema and is easy to get at Target, but here's their website so you can look at all the products they offer:

http://www.californiababy.com/

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• mothernature.com has some things that might help. I would use them cause they are natural and better for your kid. just type in eczema or check out natural remedies to see what they got.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• We have tried multiple detergent and no longer use fabric softeners but have yet to try free and clear. I'll put that on my list :) We have spent so much money ( which is fine if they would work) trying to make him comfortable. I'll try the soap to see how it works too... Hopefully we can get him better.

I have heard of the oatmeal bath, I'm gonna try it in the next day or two also.

The creams for eczema and psoriasis break him out too. But thanks though :) Its so hard trying things because everything makes his skin look like someone held a lighter to it :(
    Jacki88

Answer by Jacki88 at 12:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Thanks gottohavefaith :) I'm on it!
    Jacki88

Answer by Jacki88 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Dreft is FULL of perfumes I would not use that!! plus its expensive. All free and clear is awesome. DD has bad eczema too. The dr. gave me some samples of this medicaited oil stuff that DOES seem to help
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• How old? Bleach bath? WTF?? DD has pretty severe eczema too, and I'll tell you some of what we do. Keep in mind, she's 4. We don't do all of these things anymore, but this is some of what has worked in past and recommended by the derm. Bath twice a day for two weeks, just lukewarm water, about 15 min soak. AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THEM OUT, while the skin is still wet, (pat dry first) slather on Vaseline to keep the moisture in. Desonide (Rx) ointment for red patches, Muciprin (rx) ointment for open scratches. Oatmeal baths can help. Benadryl ONLY when the itching is so bad that she can't do anything besides scratch. Any brand detergent, but the free and clear versions of it. Cetaphil is a good non soap cleanser, and shampoo RIGHT before you take her out of tub. That way, she's not sitting in the suds.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Is there a specific season that it's worse? It seems DD is worse in the warmer weather which I find odd. And try a new derm. The Desonide rx that I mentioned is a second step. When she was younger, we used hydrocortisone cream. After a while, unfortunately, you need something stronger (if you go the steroid route).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010