Its our responsibility to teach our kids about food. but how should we learn?

Its our responsibility as parents to teach our kids about food & nutrition but how should we learn?!
I grew up & thought I ate pretty healthy. My mom cooked every meal, just not from scratch - Veggies mostly came from a can, Iceberg lettuce, lots of hamburger meat.. my mom thought white bread was fiber !!! (gasp). If my mom didnt understand nutrition, how was she sappose to teach it to me..
And now how should I teach it to my kids if im (almost) just as lost!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• well there is now more literature than every available to show what a balanced meal should look like. search for healthy diets for kids and there is surely to be a website for just that. but basic food rules are to have whole grain breads/rice and cereals, nothing that is too high in sugar or calories such as soda, and plenty of water, fruits, and veggies (frozen is just as good as fresh and almost as cheap as canned)
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Go look on Mypyramid.com, it will give you a break down of all the foods your body needs to be healthy. It also gives you examples of each kind of food, to help you understand better and best of all it has a kids section too so you could sit down and teach your children too from the fantastic diagrams they have. Learning about good nutrition is really very simple. You would also benefit from learning how to read labels, most processed food is bad for you as they have to add all kinds of chemicals to keep it "fresh" , so you should avoid those entirely.
    Good luck and enjoy the journey to good health!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 12:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My mom was a waitress and brought food home every night. She never cooked. I never learned. My ex's all cooked. When I divorced I fed my kids from drive thrus. (not proud of that now). BUT I learned to research this stuff and now we eat healthy. There are some great sites out there to help and lots of cookbooks to help.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• People can find information on the internet now. It is easier to educate yourself and educate your kids. Educating them from the beginning will help them make better choices as they get older. I do think it becomes habit and overall they will be better for it if you start them off young!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• rkoloms