Thinking about applying for WIC...

I've never been on WIC before. I have a daughter who's almost two and I'm 21 weeks pregnant. We are buried under a ton of medical debt from a couple of ER trips, some lab work and an emergency surgery I had last year. We could sure use the help, but I HATE the thought of being on PA :( I managed to stay off Medicaid by using my tax returns to pay a homebirth midwife for my prenatal, birth and postpartum care, otherwise I would have to be on that.

My husband works really hard, but doesn't get paid much. I stay home, mostly with our daughter and teach childbirth education classes when I can get the clients. I'm finding that getting a job would mean all my money going to childcare for my daughter :(

What do you guys think? We're trying REALLY hard to stay afloat, we just got stuck in a hard situation by some medical emergencies and an unexpected move :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• btw I'm 16 weeks and will most likely have a homebirth. Our insurance won't pay, but i found amidwife in training who is willing to do it for free, and pay for the attending licensed midiwfe to be there :) I would talk to your midwife and let them know of your situation, maybe you can work something out, that way some of your tax return can go into an emergancy fund (thats what we did with ours). Otherwise you will just keep going into the hole and it will feel like you never can get out (thats what we have been feeling like for awhile until we recently made some major changes... we now see some hope at the end of the tunnel (with Dave Ramsey's help :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• doesn't hurt to try :) I know that it really has helped us out!!! Also in addition to that you can also see if anywhere around you does treasure box. just search on the website for locations, that has helped us as well :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Thats what it's there for, you NEED the help, so take it. Don't be ashamed your husband has worked and payed taxes. :) Cheer up and try not to stress out too much your are pregnant!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• OP here

Precious, my midwife was willing to work with me, but she charges so little... $2,600 already and I've apprenticed as a midwife... I know how hard she had to work to get where she's at. If I hadn't paid her with the tax returns she wouldn't have gotten paid at all, and I couldn't do that to her.

I love Dave Ramsey lol. We're doing a debt snowball right now, but we have to let all the medical debt default in order to afford our basic, everyday expenses and make our minimum payments on our car loan and credit cards (which were run up by the move and some of the medical expenses). So those are in collections now, and they will just have to get paid when it's their turn in the snowball... hopefully they won't sue us before then lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• there is no reason to feel bad! why does there have to be a stigma attatched to getting help when u really need it. the only time u should be shamed is if u are tricking to govt into giving u assistance when u are capable of doing it yourself. my husband and i are not ashamed, we narrowly qualified, but it helps a lot bc we cant afford childcare and i can only work a few hours a week bc he workd full time and we are still tight on money. so screw what other ppls opinions are of welfare and public assistance, u know that your family will benefit from it so u do whats best for them and not for the approval of others hell your hubby pays his taxes doesnt he!!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• WIC is great for people in your situation. I was on it for a few years off and on. It really helps with formula if you choose to formula feed. It will give your child milk, eggs, cheese, cereal, fresh produce, whole grain breads, peanut butter or beans, and juice. It's good for nursing moms too because they give you a little bit of additional foods for you. And you know its temporary, because either way you can only be on it til your kids turn 5. Not that you would really need to be on it that long hopefully, but at least you will know your children will have food available to them, and healthy food at that.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I don't understand why you're so against pa? It's not that big of a deal if you really need it.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• OP again

Thanks ladies. You have made me feel better about it.

I feel bad for using it because we SHOULD be able to do this. But no matter how I run the numbers we have more going out every month than coming in. Since I'm pregnant and have to be on a high-protein diet, we spend about $100 in groceries every week. Not to mention my suppliments, and the labwork bills I know we will be getting from the prenatal bloodwork. I don't want to use PA, I want to work to make our lives better, but for now, the only way I can do that is to work on lowering our debt. We pay out, like, $500 in payments to different places.

I also feel bad because yes, my husband pays taxes, but we get them all back at the end of the year for being low-income. So really, we contribute next to nothing to the WIC system.

I dunno. I don't ever look down on people who use it, but I just feel like we should be able to support ourselves :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Whats the big deal its a food supplemental program not pa and not food stamps. Its all i qualify for and im grateful and wish I could get foodstamps but i am over the income requirement for that but not wic. You do not have to be dirt poor to get it. Where I live you can make 500 a if you are pregnant and much more if you are pregnant and with a child. You have to make way and i mean way less to get foodstamps. Big difference.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• OP again

Crystal, I know I don't qualify for foodstamps, but I did qualify for Medicaid. I applied and they sent the request for the verifying information when I was out of town and I didn't have time to get it to them when I got home. Plus, they don't pay for homebirth and I REALLY didn't want to see a doctor for this pregnancy. So I was gonna have to pay out of pocket anyway. Lucky for us the tax return JUST covered it.

So I KNOW I will qualify for WIC... I just don't feel great about it.

How does WIC work? Is it going to be obvious to the people in line behind me that I have it? Will I be holding them up? When my mom had WIC and foodstamps for us it was like, little pieces of monopoly money and it took an hour and a half to pay the cashier because they had to double check everything and make sure she had the right kind of peanut butter, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010