College

For a first-timer going to college, can you jump right into a masters degree or do you have to do them one at a time, associates, bachelors then masters? Or do you do them all in one degree?
IF it is all in one degree, can you after a certain amount of time get a career in that field while still in school? For example, if I do masters for criminal justice, can I be a police officer after the amount of time it would be for a bachelors to be a police officer and keep continueing my education to reach my masters?
If that makes sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• They generally go in order, AA, BA, MA. I skipped AA, went BA, then MS. Some programs will combine the Bachelors and Masters degrees. As for the job, idk. I went into teaching and worked as a teacher while working on my credential courses and Masters, but idk if other jobs do that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:06 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• A lot of people skip an AA/AS degree. Unless there's a specific career you want to go into that requires it, and you'd like an entry level job using that degree while you pursue a BS/BA degree, then its not necessary.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Bachelors, then Masters; you don't need an Associates. There are programs that combine a bachelors and masters, but they are very intensive.

Be sure that you can allocate three hours a week for homework and studying for every class hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think every one pretty much summed up the order of degrees. As far as working as a police officer while still in school is going to depend on your state/local requirements. Some states/local law enforcement agencies will require an A.S., some require a B.S. and some only require a h.s. diploma and some previous experience. My husband works for the County Sheriff's office. He was hired 5 years ago and did not have a degree at the time. (but he did have military experience) In June, he will be getting his A.S. in Criminal Justice and then will be transferring to get his B.S. degree. It has been very rough on our family and on him. He works 84 hours in one week plus he has his 15 quarter hours of school. He does have the next week off but he goes to school and catches up on his sleep. If you are hired while in school, don't forget that most likely you will have to go to Police Academy. Cont..

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Cont.. This could conflict with your classes especially if you are in the middle of the term and can not drop them without penalty. You may be able to get a job with the police department, sheriff's office, or at a prison that does not require you to be mandated just yet. Also, depending on your state, you may be able to go to a local technical school and become mandated your self. In GA, the program lasts about 16 weeks and costs about $3000 (most of which is covered by HOPE, PELL, and other financial aid). Once you finish you will be a mandated police officer. This will give you an advantage over other people, because the agency that hires you does not have to pay to train you. If you have any more questions or want to know what your state/local requirements are for police officers, just send me a message.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010