my poor cat is allergic to w/e dry food i give her :(

DH and I rescued a cat from the humane society about 8 months ago. She has become part of the family. she's the most loving wonderful cat in the world and we love her so much. ever since we got her though she's been having problems tolerating food. i've tried dry purina, meow mix, and friskies (all quality brands) and they all give her painful diarrhea, meow mix even makes her puke. wet food on the other hand she tolerates very well and is not allergic to it. but i can't afford to only feed her wet food (not to mention cats need dry food to clean their teeth) i can't afford to take her to the vet for a few months so does anyone know of any inexpensive dry cat food that she most likely wouldn't be allergic to? or something i can put in her food to help her tolerate it? i love my cat and i just want the best for her. please take into consideration i'm almost broke.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pets

• Hmmm you know kibble is generally not very healthy anyway animals who eat mostly dry have shorter life spans. Can is better because its more like real food real meat and just give an animal regular fresh meant is actually best. When you cut up and cook meat just leave some on the side unless your a vegeterian lol. My mother started doing this with her dogs who are chihuahuas and they tend to be very sensitive to most processed dog foods on the market as a breed in general. Real meat is the best for them no problems since and its cost efficient.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• she refuses to eat people food...i cook meat all the time and i always try to give some to her and she walks away and goes to eat her cat food...she doesn't like cooked meat apparently
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Try raw meat maybe I know it sounds gross but they cannot really get sick from it especially if its good quality. But by the sound of it she may not take to it. Maybe try mixing the dry with some can like just enough can to moisten it since it is more expensive so stretch it out. Dry food just seems boring to me if I were an animal it would be like feeding me corn flakes everyday lmao.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Sorry, the brands you listed aren't quality at all. Iams or Nutro are quality brands.

Cats have very sensitive stomachs, and changing their food frequently will make them sick. Painful diarrhea can be caused by worms too.

Pick a brand, stick to it, and take kitty to the vet. If you can't afford it, maybe kitty needs a new home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Oops I forgot you were talking about her getting sick from it I was thinking she just refused to eat it so i said mix it with the can. Yea those brands too are not the best try a natural brand maybe? I know when my mom does give my dogs dry its a very natural brand. What your cat may be allergic to is all the corn, wheat and other grains they use as filler for those crappy brands. Wild animals do not eat processed grains in nature they eat animal and plant life so think about it.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/184-9802879-9085150?asin=B0026JX7HG&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B0026JX7HG&CPNG=pets&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

it is not expensive not the best but not the worst. Has more meat and less fillers which your cat is probably reacting to.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 2:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• no she loves how dry food tastes....it's just it gives her diarrhea
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• i don't change her food frequently, this is over a span of 8 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I switched all of my animals to a rice based food and it has been great for them, i have to agree the brands listed while better than store brand are not "quality" 3 different brands in 8 months is alot, each time you change food it takes a while to adust so just as kitty is adjusting your changing it again.

Is anyone sharing milk with your cat? I had a cat who was lactose intolerant and would get the runs anytime someone gave it to him. He loved milk but it was really bad for him.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• The food you mentioned really are not Quality foods. That is what people have been lead to believe but if you look closely at the ingredients you will find that they are not great. Cats are commonly allergic to wheat,corn and soy so you might want to look for a food (typically a holistic diet) that is grain free.

http://www.petfoodratings.net/cats.html

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2010