Take back the country? From what?

Those who believe our leaders should be democratically elected? I couldn't stand GW Bush, but I never got violent or tried to trigger a revolution. I went to the ballot box, and eventually, my side won. American politics is cyclical. Democrats are in power now. Republicans will, unfortuantely, have another day. Then it'll be the Dems turn again. That's how it works. Palin and her ilk are advocating revolution. Do we really want another civil war because we have the nerve to cast votes and the winners take office? Our founding fathers are turning over in their graves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree.

Answer by older at 8:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Just because you were never " violent" over Bush doesn't mean many weren't it is the same with any president.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I'm politically moderate. I am neither Democrat or Republican - I vote for the issue, and the individual. It's not uncommon when I vote for me to select a candidate from one party for one office, and then, on the same ballot, select a candidate from the opposing side for a different office.

Having said that - There are extremists on both sides - yes - including those that go too far and make threats (I lived outside of DC and went to see the inaugural parade when Bush was sworn in the 2nd time - it wasn't political to me, it was history.) My children and I were in the middle of the crowd getting in when it was started to turn into a mob. We were inside the checkpoint but still near it when the mob started to turn into a riot. It was the fast and efficient action of the cops that stopped it.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• That's just one example. I also lived in FL during the 2000 elections, and people on both sides were going over the top. But my point is - there are extremists on both sides. Yet, right now, the news chooses to focus on the extremists on the right. Which makes sense in a way, since the extremists on the left are more close to being satisfied with current turns of events, so they have no reason to act out. (It goes the other way, too.)

But, I do think that a lot of what is being said, calling for a "taking back of the government" by the conservatives is being twisted. It really is no different than the call by the liberals for a new order and etc when the conservatives were in office.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:00 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• cont

Personally, I DO want to "take back the government" - by my votes - from the corrupt officials on BOTH sides that have gotten too far away from what they are supposed to do. I think it's time to clean house (and all of DC, for that matter), getting rid of those that are too caught up in their own personal interests and the special interest groups, and elect those that focus on what their constituents want - regardless of what "side" that falls on.

I'm a firm believer in the quote that says "In a Democracy, for good or ill, the people get the government they deserve." I think it's about time the people started demanding (and, thus, deserving) a government that listens to them. We haven't truly had one of those for a very long time.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Take it back from the extremists on the left who are hell bent on transforming our country into a socialist state. Yes I know several will say, you have no clue what socialism is. I say to them: YOU have no clue how we are being weaned into it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes, take back the country from the masses of federal politicians who are ONLY in it for what THEY can get out of it, with no care for the wishes of the people who voted them in. It's supposed to be a government of the PEOPLE, by the PEOPLE, and for the PEOPLE, but the people are given no real say-so in what their elected politicians do, once they get into office and stay there until they turn into fossils or die in office.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think people should have to take a competency test to vote and a test to run. We have way too many stupid people in this country (in part because our schools are crap) and very few that should have the right to vote or run. If you don't understand what's going on in the country and you don't do your research why should you be able to vote on something that can effect millions? Yeah you shouldn't have that kind of power, that's what's gotten our country in such a mess.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 8:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• If you don't understand what's going on in the country and you don't do your research why should you be able to vote on something that can effect millions?
    ----
    Because it's in the constitution that everyone get to vote. People are bitching that this bill is unconstitutional well so is this idea which is why it will never happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

That's a sad justification for ignorance

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2010