What are you against?

Health care bill, what will affect you this year. Timeline
Young adults will be able stay on their parents' insurance until their 26th birthday.
Seniors will get a $250 rebate to help fill the "doughnut hole" in Medicare prescription drug coverage, which falls between the $2,700 initial limit and when catastrophic coverage kicks in at $6,154.
Insurers will be barred from imposing exclusions on children with pre-existing conditions. Pools will cover those with pre-existing health conditions until health care coverage exchanges are operational.
Insurers will not be able to rescind policies to avoid paying medical bills when a person becomes ill.
Lifetime limits on benefits and restrictive annual limits will be prohibited.
New plans must provide coverage for preventive services without co-pays. All plans must comply by 2018.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I should add, those thousands of jobs are what pay taxes to feed into the very government system that needs to fund the programs mentioned. (btw, she works in a steel mill, so we're talking blue collar jobs - not high end businessmen and women getting golden parachute bonuses from companies going belly up...)

But like I said, we need to look at the whole picture, not just pieces here and there, if we want to fix what's wrong right now. If we try to fix health care and causing govt expenses, without addressing the job problems, then the system, including health care, will implode. If we only care about jobs, without addressing the health of the people, there will be no workers to man them, and again, the system will implode.

Sadly, for many yrs, NEITHER party has done a good job of addressing BOTH these needs in an a balanced way.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• A temporary reinsurance program will help offset costs of coverage for companies that provide early retiree health benefits for those ages 55 to 64.
    New plans will be required to implement an appeals process for coverage determinations and claims.
    Adoption tax credit and assistance exclusion will increase by $1,000. The bill makes the credit refundable and extends it through 2011.
    A 10 percent tax will be imposed on amounts paid for indoor tanning services on or after July 1.
    Businesses with fewer than 50 employees will get tax credits covering 35 percent of their health care premiums, increasing to 50 percent by 2014.

Among these ONLY what are you against and why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• The problem isn't with those things. The problem is with the method used to get them. The end doesn't always justify the means.

To have a fair discussion of it (and I'm not one of those people that just attack something because a party tells me to), you need to include all the ramifications of it. For example, my sisters company just announced that their estimated losses, because of the new costs of this bill, will be something like 54 mil. That's enough to cause them to close down. When they were having labor disputes a few yrs ago and people weren't working it almost wiped out my home town. For this business to shut, it will wipe them out, ultimately costing thousands of jobs that they can't afford to lose.

None of us live in a vacuum, and none of these measures - any more than any other major policy change - occurs in a vacuum, either.

We need to look at the whole picture, not just pieces of the puzzle.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Noiw take a look at the funding and all the other measures, like sailor said a few bullet points does NOT tell the story.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• So Sailorwife and Carpy are you saying - both of you are NOT against any of the health care points above?
    That was the question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• No, what I'm saying is I am neither for nor against them, as they are stated above.

I'm saying that I refuse to form an opinion on those points without seeing the rest of the picture. Because I feel that to do so, whether I form one in favor of it or against it, without doing so, would be wrong.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• BTW sailorwife, I agree with what you have said. I just want to point out that not everything concerning this bill is terrible. It will help people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• ugh.. people.

Of course parts of the bill will help people. DUH..

Others will suffer... short sighted people just focus on the parts that will benefit them. Typical
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I'm against the part you couldn't be bothered to mention that also kicks in this year. The tax hikes and premium increases that will ultimately lead to this:

"In reality, if you strip out all the gimmicks and budgetary games and rework the calculus, a wholly different picture emerges: The health care reform legislation would raise, not lower, federal deficits, by $562 billion." New York Times

So tell us, OP, why do you support inflating the deficit to enact a program that won't actuallly work unless congress agrees to pass additional funding as discretionary spending independantly every year?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• oh wait.. THAT wasn't part of the question.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 4:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2010