Febrial seizure (continued)

The ER nurse informed us that my son's temp exceeded 104.5 F and alternated motrin and tylenol until it reduced to 102 F. The incident occured around 5:30pm and at 9pm my son was still asleep. the ER doctor said that this seizure would not cause permanent damage but it is most likely to happen again. On Saturday, my son's temperature continued in the high 101 and 102 F, so we treated him by placing him in the bath (LUkewarm water) for twenty minutes and continued to alternate meds ever three hours, as recommended by ER. just a few minutes ago his temp drastically dropped to 95 F. called ER doctor and she said not to be concerned but advised me not to give any fever meds until temp rises again. I will recheck temp every twenty minutes for drastic changes and will be awake, all night!

alejandra559

Asked by alejandra559 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• First of all, just some advice... if you are posting in here and its too long, add the second part as an answer to the first part, that way you only have one question in the section form. It makes it easier to follow your responses:)

Now about your post... My daughter has had 6 febrile seizures and has never had a fever without having a seizure. It is NOT more likely that he will have a second one. 1/4 of children have a febrile seizure and 1/2 of those that do, end up having another one. So you have a 50/50 chance that he will have another one but its almost NEVER during the same fever. They happen when the fever first spikes so once its been going on for over 24 hours, he is pretty much out of the clear for a fever seizure. The doc is right... there is no studies that have found any long term effects from a febrile seizure although they are scary as hell to watch.... continued
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Ohh wow! How scary! Im so sorry you and your lil one are going though this! My dd when sick always has ran very high fevers 104-105 and Im always scared she may have a seizure. What is the reason your lil one is running these constant high fevers? I would think the ER would have kept him due to the high fevers returning . Does the doctors know why?
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• he has strep throat and has been sick for two weeks but his primary pediatrician would not prescribe antibiotics..i finally got fed up and took him to a doctor not covered by his insurance. I paid for the visit! this doctor, who I mentioned in part on of my post, took my sons symptoms serious and prescribed meds. I am keeping a log of my son's temperature. Please!! do not take your daughters high temp for granted. alternate meds tylenol and motrin to reduce the fever. It was terryfing to see my so seize and stop breathing. the 9-11 operater prompted us to place him on the floor and he was unconsious. I can say that i handle stressful situations better than my DH but i crumbled after all was controlled. His temp is begining to rise again. 100.7 from 95 F If it reaches 102, i will give meds.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• 2:48am temp: 101. F
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 5:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Im so sorry Momma! I sure hope your lo gets better soon. Ill keep him in my thoughts. How long has he been on his antibiotic? And how long has his fever been like this? I really am soo surprised that with all thats going on with him that they havent done more considering his fever wont fully go away with meds and antibiotics. Yes, I most diff. never mess around with high fevers with my dd. Once her fever hits 100 we start giving her motrin and then if it cont. to rise then we begin tylenol. If ever her fever rises above 103 and meds are not working then we always take her to the urgent care or ER. How old is you little one?
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 6:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My DD had her first one at 8 months and has had 5 more and her last one was in July when she was 2 1/2 (she hasnt had a fever since so I dont know if she has outgrown them or not) They have each grown longer and her last two caused her to stop breathing, foam at the mouth and to turn purple. Its nearly impossible to see how that can NOT cause brain damage!! But all you can do during a seizure is to hold his head still so that he doesnt hit it on the ground and to talk him through it. Say things like "its ok" "you're going to be ok" even though he probably cant hear you, it helps me to stay calmer when I am talking my DD through one like that.

My DD's ped said that once her fever hits 100 to give her motrin and tylenol (alternate) for 24 hours until she doesnt have a fever any longer. I would NEVER give my son meds at only 100 but I do for her. Maybe you should try that too. Good luck, it will be ok
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Febrile seizures will not harm your child but you do have to watch any fever that he gets because may have more seizures. My cousin only had 1 but I know of other kids that have more. Most kids outgrow the febrile seizures by the time they are 5 or 6 years old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• thanks for all your replys..My son is much better. His fever is gone but we still give antibiotics to treat the Strep. Thanks to the mommy that advised me to continue my question as an answer. I will do so.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 31, 2010