What are some good chores for a 4 year old?

I am making a new chore chart for my 4 year old. For each chore or good things he gets a dime and if he gets in trouble I take a dime away (he knows that 10 dimes are enough to buy an ice cream cone from the ice cream man that comes by every evening). I know all the bad things I can put on the "sad" chart, but I need some more ideas for the "happy" chart. I've got brushing teeth, picking up toys, getting dressed, feed the dog, playing nice with his brother. Then I'm drawing a blank. What else can I list as good things he can do to earn a dime?

CorgiMomma

Asked by CorgiMomma at 5:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• how about doing something nice for someone without being asked. holding open door, getting someone a glass of water, i know know just trying to give you ideas. :)
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 5:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Setting and clearing the table, helping cook meals - 4 year olds can help with things like tearing lettuce for salad, mixing things, getting ingredients together from the cabinets and fridge and putting them away again, putting away laundry (and folding it if he's up to it - mine started helping around that age but he needed supervision). There's also yard work when it warms up more - help to pick up sticks, pull weeds, etc. A lot of the chores my DS does are helping us do things and we just tell him what to do as we go. As he's gotten older he's learned to do more like sweep and dust, but we started those when he was younger even if it meant we redid them later.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• He can help set the table or clear the table. It might not be perfect, but he could help - carry silverware in, or carry his plate in and put it on the counter when he's done.

Hold the dust pan when you sweep.

Pick up toys.

I agree with NotPanicking - there are lots of things he could do, most of them he's going to have to do with supervision and help, and of course, it's not going to be perfect, but you can scale down a lot of things that he can help with. (Also, like if you're dusting, you could give him a cloth and let him wipe down the coffee and end tables - even if you have to go back over them. The point is that he's starting to learn to do these things and wanting to be involved.)

gl :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• If you have laundry baskets in the bedrooms or bathrooms he could drag those to the laundry room and dump them out. Mine did this and they liked it. Of course the baskets can't be too big.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 7:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Matching socks, dusting a table, making his bed, sweeping the floor, clearing the table.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My 4 year old twins fold the wash cloths and hand towels on laundry day, pick up their bedroom, sometimes wash the windows (where they can reach of course, that's their mess anyway), they help make dinner by putting away ingredients in the cupboards they can reach, depending on what's for dinner, they help me cook. Um...outside they have their own rakes and help clean up the yard, they put their outside toys in the garage, and help water the flowers in the spring and summer. Sometimes they sweep for me, sometimes they vacuum. The only things they have to do are brush their teeth, pick up their toys, and clear their plates from the table after a meal. Everything else is just stuff they ask to do and we let them.
    Eris822

Answer by Eris822 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• To add to all the other comments he can clean low windows or glass surfices (like a coffee table if you have that) with a premade mix of vinegar and water. My dd is 20 months and already tries to do that. :) And the vinegar keeps it safe for him.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My friend puts all her stinky diapers in grocery bags and sets them on the front porch during the day. When the children she babysits go home for the day, she and her 2 year old son take all the stinky diapers to the big trash can. He can carry several at once and gives him a chore he is capable of doing.
    Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Make their bed. (I know it won't be perfect but it is a good habit to start) my 3 1/2 year old is soooo proud of herself when she makes her bed :)
    Seriously868

Answer by Seriously868 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• i have a 4 and 5 year old and try to give different chores for them to do. the 4 yo puts the silverware away, the 5 yo putsdishes away that go into the lower cupboards and my older kids do the upper cupboards.
    momax4

Answer by momax4 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010