Bed of Screws? This makes me sick!

From what I just learned it's a common practice for hunters to put screw boards outside their cabins in the woods to keep bear and other animals from breaking in...

They make them by drilling screws in through a piece of plywood about an inch or so apart, so that anything coming up on the porch has to step on it and get screws in their feet...

Isn't this considered cruelty to animals? How can this be legal? Please someone tell me it's not...

**Not sure where to put this, which is why it's here...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:07 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I see nothing wrong with it.

had it been 1810 instead of 2010 would you consider it cruel?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• WOULD YOU RATHER DO THIS ARE GET YOUR FAMILY ATTACKED BY BEARS ?THE ANSWERS IS OBVIOUS .....ITS NOT LIKE RANDOM TRAPS OUT IN THE WOODS WEAR THE BEARS LIVE ITS IN FRONT YOUR CABIN OR HOME,IF THAT COME ON YOUR PORCH THERE MORE THAN LIKELY TO BREAK IN......ITS BETTER THAN JUST SHOOTING THEM DEAD!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME ON CAFEMOM MY CAPS LOCK IS BROKEN!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It is a wise thing to do, I've seen it. You have to protect yourself.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• They aren't doing it when they are there! They were only putting them out when they weren't going to be there...

And there are other ways to go about it.

And yes 1810 or 2010 I would still be apposed to harming an animal just because you can... They aren't protecting themselves, they aren't living there, and they don't have kids up there. They are causing harm and most likely infection in these poor animals simply because they don't want to risk having their cabin in the woods messed up... Frankly I am appalled not only at their actions but at the amount women that are okay with it.

I have no issue with hunting as long as you aren't wasting the animal. But just leaving harmful and potentially deadly traps like this is just not okay! There ARE other, non harmful ways to protect your property. We have bears here, I couldn't imagine ever doing something like this, and our bears come to us, these men are in THEIR territory!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• No they should just get eaten by bears...
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Sabrina, have you ever lived in the country or even the boondocks? Or are ya just a cityslicker? Lol, I'm sorry, but when you live out in the middle of nowhere, you have to do stuff like that sometimes. It's better than having a bear tear into your house when you're away for the season and have to remodel the whole thing. Duh.
    Anonymous

• Anon - We DO have bears here! And cougars! And I could NEVER do something like this! It's cruel. There are other options... Know how I know? I use them! I would never leave our screws for the animal to be hurt on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• There are other ways to keep bears and other unwanted animals away from your cabin if you find that you have to leave it for months. Mind you only when it is hunting season are the hunters in the cabin so most of the time it is empty. Shock fences are a good humane way to deal with unwanted animals. Also if you leave clean the house remove the food and take out the trash. clean the trash cans as well. If you look it up you will find that the nails are not legal and rangers tell you all the time how to keep the wild animals away from your camp or cabins.
    SnowKitty76

Answer by SnowKitty76 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would think that the bear, or any other animal wouldn't really be injured by it... unless they were just plain stupid or had no sense of pain... I would think that they're not going to just JUMP on the boards and impale themselves... they probably put a paw out and feel that it's prickly, maybe test a few more places to see if there's a way around the prickly things and don't go any farther....
    Most critters will test something they haven't encountered before.... Like putting tape or static paper around something you don't want the cat or dog to get into... they usually poke at it with a paw and then back off because it's unpleasant. Even ants.. I've watched them climb up candles on the porch and when they get close to the heat they turn around and go the other way.

Now if they were doing this in front of the bears caves and trapping them in or something like that, I would say it's cruel. this is just precautionary. IMO
    CodysFuture

Answer by CodysFuture at 12:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2010